GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone... I was always under the impression that octane only "resisted detonation". I remember reading in a magazine like Chevy high performance or something that you should always run the lowest octane possible in your motor that it will run right on. Does that make sense? I was talkin to Jesse (the wait4me guy) and he was tellin me that I should get the high octane tune for better mileage... is that true? because right now I have the 89 octane tune... or whatever that means.. and when i run 89.. the motor pings! or atleast I think its pinging... anyways... I hate it! and i dont want to hurt the motor! So help me out.. cause i wanna send the computer back to him once and for all... either get the 87 tune WITHOUT it pinging... or the high octane tune for better mileage <-- if thats true... help me out guys! Thanks!

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Econ shouldn't matter at cruise with the fuel. It's setup with timing, on cruise I recall that timing is advanced quite far. You're talking maybe 2-5° of timing difference for the 87 to 93 fuel.

I dyno'd my truck and found around 16rwhp at the high end with an extra 5° of timing.

Anyway, hope that info can help :jester:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts