GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Ive been doing a little research on this subject and have found information similar but not what I am actually looking for. I have a 2000 Silverado with A 5.3, 6 inch lift, 33 inch tires, CAI, duals, and a Blackbear tune. The truck drives fine but I feel I am getting terrible gas millage. I am currently averaging 12mpg. This is after the tune. Now, I do live way up in the mountains (8000ft) in Colorado. However I don't have to drive a ton of hills where I am located and I have been driving very conservative for the last few tanks. Does anyone have similar circumstances as I do that can shed some light on their economy? Or does anyone have any advice/data from their experiences? I am considering going to 4.10s to see if that might give me the edge. I love my truck but the fuel millage is killing me. I have friends with similar setups on different brand trucks doing much better than me.

Thanks guys.

P.S. I am new to using forums and computer retarded so I do apologize for any etiquette rules I may be breaking.

·
GMFS Member
749 Posts
I'm leveled on 285's with 3:73's, tune, exhaust, and I just filled up tonight and averaged 13.8 last tank, so your mileage doesn't seem too far off

·
GMFS MoPar/Air Force Crew
5,457 Posts
I do not think going to 4.10's will assist you in obtaining superior fuel mileage results.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm not even getting 12 on winter blend. I have a 1.5 bl 4:10s and 33s.

·
Yake is a Fgt
3,582 Posts
You drive a full size lifted truck. Don't cry about gas mileage and just drive

·
Registered
314 Posts
Even if the gear swap improves MPG slightly, when you figure the payback, it's just not there money wise. It'd take forever to recoupe the 1200.00 cost of a gear swap ,in fuel .
That being said I always liked my truck better after re-gearing...but I never did it for the money.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah, 12 isn't too bad for what you have done. I get about 14.5 leveled with 33s in my 2009 and that's with a 6 speed. I doubt regearing would help the mpgs much but a little more power is always nice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good. Ive read a lot and I see guys constantly reporting 15-17mpgs with similar set ups. I know people lie about millage all the time but you got to figure some of them are telling full truths. As for the gear swap, I can have it done for pretty cheap, about $500 to $600. I have just held out because I was not sure if it would improve, hurt, or keep millage the same.

·
Yake is a Fgt
3,582 Posts
Most people don't know how to properly calculate their mileage IMO. Or they just read their dash which isn't the most accurate thing in the world.

I do the second, but I'm not to concerned about what it says. Just like having a ballpark figure.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I live in the mountains also, about 4000ft. I have an 06 with 35's and factory 4.10's. Staying local on these hills and uneven roads I average about 12.5. If I do a lot of short trips without allowing the truck to reach operating temp I get around 11.5-12. Freeway driving I average about 18.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hand calculate millage. I don't have a dash display. I use the same station and try to use the same pump when I fill up, drive it around, fill it back up divide the miles driven by gallons filled. Is there a better, different way to calculate?

Chitter, that's interesting. I don't come anywhere near that to highway. The best tank I ever got was 14.5 mpgs and that was all flat highway.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I am pretty happy with it. I took a trip to Monterey 2 years ago. Was all flat highway 70mph and roughly 3/4 tank used. I filled up before leaving and again when I arrived both ways. Hand calculated I got 23.7 there and 21.2 back. On average I see about 15 overall depending on roadway. What are your rpms at normal freeway speed? At 65, which is limit where I live, I am about 1850 rpms with my 4 speed. And I drive very conservatively.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im around 2000 rpm between 65mph and 70mph. Its hard to tell on the dash display. The truck had a aftermarket dash display when I bought it. Id call it closer to 1800rpm though at 65mph.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am pretty happy with it. I took a trip to Monterey 2 years ago. Was all flat highway 70mph and roughly 3/4 tank used. I filled up before leaving and again when I arrived both ways. Hand calculated I got 23.7 there and 21.2 back. On average I see about 15 overall depending on roadway. What are your rpms at normal freeway speed? At 65, which is limit where I live, I am about 1850 rpms with my 4 speed. And I drive very conservatively.
I get nothing close to that and I'm running smaller tires and less of a lift. How you get those numbers stumps me! I feel like I'm closer to 2000 rpm at least at 65.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did a little test over the last few days. Was extremely cautious of how much throttle I applied and was able to increase to 13 mpg. Still nothing impressive. Talked with a friend who had a f250 or f350 gasser with the v10 33s and 4.10 gears. He said he was getting 14 mpg regularly without driving very conservative. I feel like something has gotta be wrong. Replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs and wires, cleaned the MAF and intake filter not too long ago. Im gonna talk to the tuner as well.

·
ROB
3,022 Posts
There's nothing wrong. Trucks get shitty mileage. Most people I know get between 10-14 mpg. Plus the winter blend gas isn't helping.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts