GMC Truck Forum banner

mpg

2565 38
**update** Mpg

i know there has been threads before on mpg. but i'm lazy and don't want to search through them........sorry :think: ive got a flowmaster, k&n airfilter, drive conservatively and running stock 245's right now. in the city im busting out a whopping 10.4 mpg. btw, ive got a hoe with a 350 in it. would changing the plugs, cleaning the injectors give me any kind of mpg boost? or anything at all? thanks in advance
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· thats right
2,197 Posts
just get penzoil, valvoline, etc. all the major brands in oil have a good product. if you want synthetic, mobil 1 or amsoil is the only way to go. mobil 1 is cheaper than amsoil and for the application its just as good.

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
yea in going to go synthetic..........mobil 1 it is!

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
well..........didn't get around to changing out my new parts this weekend.....football game and going to ft. worth on sunday left me with no time. ill try and get some done this weekend. i did run some injector cleaner and saw little if any improvements ( i haven't filled up yet)

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
ok, fuel filter has been changed along with my air filter being cleaned and "recharged" so i will let yall know how that goes, btw, on this past tank of gas................9 mpg, but my foot was a little heavy this time :nono:

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
seems normal to me for that size of lift/tires with no mods. but with those mods id figure around 12-13

· Registered
2,504 Posts
divide how many miles u can get out of your tank by the number of gallons ur tank holds. like i can get anywhere from 220 to 270 miles out of my tank (depending on how heavy my right foot is) and i have a 26 gallon tank. so i get anywhere from about 8.5mpg to about 10mpg. as u can tell im suffering from the same problem as dahoe4x4ag! :insane:

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Senorpedro18 said:
divide how many miles u can get out of your tank by the number of gallons ur tank holds. like i can get anywhere from 220 to 270 miles out of my tank (depending on how heavy my right foot is) and i have a 26 gallon tank. so i get anywhere from about 8.5mpg to about 10mpg. as u can tell im suffering from the same problem as dahoe4x4ag! :insane:
if you want to figure it out exactly, take what you get on ur tank, and when you fill up take the miles you got divided by the exact amout of gallons put in (on the gas pump or check your receipt). that will give you exact mpg

example: you fill up, reset your trip, when it comes time to fill up again lets say you got 225. divide that by the amount you put in (gallons) and there ya go!

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
ok here is an update so far after putting on my fuel filter and cleaning the k&n. im seeing minimal improvements so far. i'm gonna guess .5-1 mpg increase......if that. and im driving extra conservatively. but i did come across something interesting, i pulled a couple of plugs and they look like shit! all corroded and rusty looking, not clean at all. so i figured big part of the problem right there. so its off to buy some ac delco plugs..........now heres a question

What brand of spark plug wires do yall recommend? i ran the cheapest ones on my last truck and it didn't affect anything at all. I'm certainly not going to waste my money with the most expensive. Heres how they go:

DOUBLE-SILICONE 22.00
VALUCRAFT 16.00
CAROL 28.00

and then some expensive ass ones........i was thinking the double silicone, not top of the line, but not bottom.........what do yall think?

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
they said they didn't have delco.........thats what i wanted

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
good deal, o'reillys it is...........thanks alot man

· Registered
391 Posts
I get anywhere from 270 miles per tank in all city to 300-310ish if I drive some highway. Averages out to like 13 city and 14-14.5 highway. This is with 285's and 3.42's. Before I got my 285's I had 265's and I got 300 miles a tank in city and anywhere from 320-340 if I drove some highway. Which came out to around 14 city and 15-15.5 highway. I also have a k&n filter, and a magnaflow exhaust 2 in 1 out dumped before the axle.

· Registered
51 Posts
Hey DaHoe4x4Ag, i think your main problem is that you dont have any cats on there. With out them, your gonna get some crappy milage in town and mabey on the highway. The thing is, with out the cats the rear o2's are gonna send the pcm the wrong o2 voltage and tell it that the cats are not working or that the rear o2's are not working and is gonna make it run bad.

The reason that the SES light is comming on at idle is probly because of the cats being gone too. Without them the front o2s, they are not gonna get hot enough because the exhause is passing by too fast and then they will not respond correctly and you will not go into closed loop, making you run on base fuel with out any corrections from the computer to make it run at a stochiometric ratio(the correct fuel/air ratio). This can give you bad milage because the o2's wont get hot until you start to move so you can get enough hot exhaust to go past the o2's to get em hot. So until you get some cats on there you may not get the gas milage to come up.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.