GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is one for sale locally on CL pretty cheap and I didnt know if it was a worthwhile ignition mod on my '95 TBI 350? Also isnt there a special connector ill need to hook it to my coil?

Discuss please.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone? The price has dropped on this thing and id like to know if I should get it.

·
Dying to be lower
59 Posts
I had a 6a before on a 2002 blazer, I liked it alot

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it worth $90 plus what id have to pay to order a kit to install it on my truck?

·
Registered
68 Posts
you will need a special conector to just plug and play with your distibutor, its only a few bucks I found the one I had in the MSD section at my local autozone. I hohnestly didnt notice much of a diference with it but it looked cool under the hood and I knew it was there. Thats not a bad price at all, and you should be able to go on the MSD website to find the part number to the connector you need.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you will need a special conector to just plug and play with your distibutor, its only a few bucks I found the one I had in the MSD section at my local autozone. I hohnestly didnt notice much of a diference with it but it looked cool under the hood and I knew it was there. Thats not a bad price at all, and you should be able to go on the MSD website to find the part number to the connector you need.
Cool. I may pick it up off the guy when I get paid if he still has it. Will this let me open up my spark plug gaps some? Will I need a higher power coil too?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Im not sure you will see much gain from it, maybe a little more "peppiness" and better combustion. If you do slap it on i do suggest you go ahead and get a new coil to go with it. Something to take advantage of the box. Even if you do get it and dont put it on, i bet you could make a few bucks off of it reselling it through ebay or another wevsite

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Not worth the cash, I've said it before... capacitive discharge ign systems (Mallory, MSD, whatever) all need large cams to be worth a flip.

Put that $90 into a keg party. Or a cam/intake for your TBI.

·
Registered
11 Posts
its a 30 dollar part from msd and u just plug it into the coil plugs and connect the wires from the box that are color coded and add power and ground and ur all set very simple if u have the book that came with the msd box all the part numbers are in it or just go to ur local part store and copy the directions

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not worth the cash, I've said it before... capacitive discharge ign systems (Mallory, MSD, whatever) all need large cams to be worth a flip.

Put that $90 into a keg party. Or a cam/intake for your TBI.
alright. I may pick it up off the guy and resell it then. How about just adding a stronger coil and maybe a upgraded ign. module then opening up the spark plug gaps some?

A guy that messes with TBI's a good bit recommended this module http://www.performancedistributors.com/modules.htm. Any good?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
alright. I may pick it up off the guy and resell it then. How about just adding a stronger coil and maybe a upgraded ign. module then opening up the spark plug gaps some?

A guy that messes with TBI's a good bit recommended this module http://www.performancedistributors.com/modules.htm. Any good?

Pal of mine installed an MSD TFI module (Ford version of that) on his truck, didn't see shit for difference. This truck had H/C/I/centri blower. I would assume GM built the HEI modules not to need that.

I'd like to see a dyno chart if there are any actual gains.

Honestly man, you're just chasing around and around with the TBI if you're stock there... lots of puny stuff just doesn't do anything until you get into the motor or add a full exhaust. Cam is horrible, intake manifold doesn't flow well, low timing, etc.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pal of mine installed an MSD TFI module (Ford version of that) on his truck, didn't see shit for difference. This truck had H/C/I/centri blower. I would assume GM built the HEI modules not to need that.

I'd like to see a dyno chart if there are any actual gains.

Honestly man, you're just chasing around and around with the TBI if you're stock there... lots of puny stuff just doesn't do anything until you get into the motor or add a full exhaust. Cam is horrible, intake manifold doesn't flow well, low timing, etc.
O I know. Im not planning on pouring a ton of money into this motor. Ive just been adding a few low buck things to mine to get it to run a little better and to improve efficiency. I tuned it up as well. Id like to eventually tackle the task of swapping in a Gen III motor like some have done or atleast building a small block with a ton of torque like a 383 or something. But for now ive just been adding a few small things here and there because i dont want to get into the internals with this motor...

That being said, if I could get a stronger coil at cost or a good deal would it be worth while to swap it out and gap my plugs a little more (from .35 or w/e maybe to thousandths)? Im gonna have to change plugs in the next couple thousand miles anyways...

·
QuadraSteernado
8,385 Posts

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
O I know. Im not planning on pouring a ton of money into this motor. Ive just been adding a few low buck things to mine to get it to run a little better and to improve efficiency. I tuned it up as well. Id like to eventually tackle the task of swapping in a Gen III motor like some have done or atleast building a small block with a ton of torque like a 383 or something. But for now ive just been adding a few small things here and there because i dont want to get into the internals with this motor...

That being said, if I could get a stronger coil at cost or a good deal would it be worth while to swap it out and gap my plugs a little more (from .35 or w/e maybe to thousandths)? Im gonna have to change plugs in the next couple thousand miles anyways...

Not worth the time/money. Just get some cheapo coppers (I use Champion) and a good set of wires, BorgWarner are good.

A mild cam for that is super cheap and would yield very impressive gains. Get a used Edelbrock TBI manifold from ebay and combine it with a chip. That's all I'd do if you plan something larger later

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ill list what ive got so far.

-Full tuneup (fresh cap/rotor, new plug wires, clean K&N filter, new AC delco coolant temp sensor, new AC delco O2 sensor) Its time for fresh AC delco spark plugs and AC delco fuel filter. Im gonna get them installed in the next week.
-CFM-Tech Injector pod spacer and TB spacer
-Ultimate TBI mods
-Torque tube in place of factory silencer box and still drawing cold air from fender
-Corvette servo
-Brian at TBIchips.com burned me a chip based on my few bolt ons
-free flowing exhaust after the manifolds (longtubes may be in future)
-I have 2 electric fans and a controller but I havent gotten around to making brackets and installing them.

Thats about it. It runs a whole lot better than it did when it was stock but still seems to run out of steam at 3400+ and at WOT only shifts at 4000 rpm. I guess that is ok since the heads and cam arent meant for high RPM. I need to get a AFPR and a guage setup though. Instead of the cam swap how costly and how much gain would I get from some 1.6 roller rockers?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts