GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a LONG time of deciding what to do with my truck (2010 NNBS 6 Speed 1500 5.3, 3.42 gears), I have decided to go with the 2.5 CCM. Along with a 1" taller block in the rear. Now, for tires!

I don't want to have to re-gear, as this is a DD. I did some research and I see a lot of people are running 33" Toyo MT's with no issues. So I dug deeper and according to people the 33x12.5x20" MT's are roughly 33 1/2" tall when mounted and weigh 72 lbs ea. I am wanting to go with Mickey Thompson MTZ's. So for comparison I searched a lot trying to find exact info on these tires. The 35x12.5x20 MTZ are roughly 34" tall and are actually 2 lbs lighter, then the 33" Toyo MT's. Would I be safe to run the 35" MTZ's with stock gearing? The tires would be roughly 1/2" taller than the Toyo MT's and 2lbs lighter. Would the truck drive similar with either tires on? Does anybody have experience with this exact set-up that could chime in?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
276 Posts
:word: I have the Fabtech and my 35's still rub..

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Yep, bud. Hate to say it but you gonna have to drop $1,000 on a lift if you want 35's that bad. However, If I were you I'd just run the Toyo 33's because from what I understand Toyo's run EXACTLY the size indicated if not more...That way you know you'd have a real nice beefy tire on there, but any 35 would rub horribly.

Now, if you wanted to look at putting one of the 1.5"-2" zone body lifts on....then you might be able to do the 35's...Don't know too much about fitment on the nnbs but those zone 1.5-2" body lifts are real popular on the new trucks. Can't tell there's a body lift at all but you also get that extra 2" lift to fit the 35's! Let us know what you plan to do..

Realistically though...You want to take care of the truck? 285's, 295's (my favorite) or 33's since you don't want to drop the coin on the gears. The truck would be a bit more of a dog with the 35's and your rear end a ticking time bomb. 33's until maybe you decide to do gears/suspension.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
both are great tires, but there is no way you are getting the MTZ to fit with only 2.5in of lift.

·
I got work to do
6,024 Posts
Who is this slut in your avatar Jackson? SMASH!!!
Molly Qerim. Shes like a reporter or something. Saw her announcing before an MMA fight on live TV and fell in love.

Run toyos on drivers side an mtz on he other. Best of both worlds
Great advice:shake:

Ive seen cases were people do that, but it was front and back.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Run some trail grappler mt. Im running 35x12.50x20 on my silverado with 3 bl + 6 inch RCS+ TBar keys and AAL. With all that I have tons of travel and clearence. With just a 3" BL I had terrible rubbage running a set of 1/4 tread MTZ's while I waited for my suspension lift to arrive.

Either way run a set of 305's level it and rock it. As for tires its all personal prefference I prefer Nitto over MT but MT over Toyo so get what makes you happy with the set you need for your style of driving

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts