GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have a Magnaflow muffler, 22" I believe, and it's got some bad resonance from about 1500 to 1900 RPM. It's placed right where the stock one was, if I move it backwards or forwards or even rotate it would it decrease the resonance? Any ideas would be great.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
no that wont really help at all. what size piping? same size as the muffler outlets?

resonance is really part of the magnaflows. they are WAY overhyped. i had one an hated it.

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What would you suggest? I don't have the money for a corsa so I just need something to go in it's place.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
lol i dunno man. i never really tried to fix mine, i just put the corsa on.

maybe you can try a resonator? or swap in a diff muffler. i had a dynomax race series(12 inch long case x 9 inch wide) on my 94. it was a straight through design just like magnaflow, but it had zero resonance. i was shocked that the magnaflow resonated so much when it is supposed to be the same as the straight through dynomax.

is yours dumped? or full tail?

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's all way to the back, but hidden. I think I'm going to mess around with it tommorow see if I can get any improvement.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
i might be wrong, but i THINK that a dump right after the muffler could reduce the resonance. i was going to try that on mine before i got the catback

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I dunno, I have a 5x11x22 on my F150 and it's quiet on the freeway.

A lot has to do with the rest of the setup, slow exhaust velocity creates resonance I believe.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
yeah, it would make sense that slow velocity creates the resonance. think about it, resonance is ultra deep, low frequency noise.

thats why i think resonance is helped along by bouncing around in the tailpipe. many after market exhaust companies claim a need to run a resonator when the exhuast pipe gets as long as a ECSB length....

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Maybe it has something to do with not only cruise RPM but how far your foor is into the pedal to get the truck to move? :think:

Like, my truck requires more pedal at higher speeds obviously despite the RPMs are higher which usually equate to less resonation.

Chrome tips also add to resonation...

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Highway does not bother me. It's only when it's under stress at about 1,600 to about 1,900 RPM. I might try just taking off the back section and see how it sounds without it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts