GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
When i bought my truck in late april (I turned 16 in june) it made a "cackle" and people thought differently about the situation and it didn't bother me too much. Now its terrible and ive determined its the mufflers. Im running a dual exhaust all the way back. Ive got about $200 for mufflers if they need to go that high.

Does anyone have a good reccomendation for a b*tchin sounding muffler, but is still quiet enough to live with on an everyday drive? Flowmaster 40 series are out of the question, my brother has them on his 85 and he hates them and so do i. There too loud even over the stereo.

Thanks,
Dave

Note: I can post pics of where the mufflers are mounted if u need a visual of the space i have to work with.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
40 Series Delta Flow are not as loud
Magnaflow makes a nice muffler.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Here is what someone else said in anothe rthread:

DeToN8TeD said:
My old man lent me some dinero so I could get rid of my almost illegal sounding exhaust. Its a Magnaflow 2.5 dual in, 2.5 dual out muffler that I think I read was about 18" long. All I can say is I love how quiet it is.
No drone inside the cab, sounds good at idle and overall I'm very pleased. Truck seems to pick up better as well. Keep in mind I have ASM's and no cats and this muffler is still quiet. Thanks for the recommendation Lance (02denali)

·
GPS Guru
347 Posts
:word: the shorter the turndown the louder it will be also. I think 40 series original flows sound great, but it all depends on how their setup (how long the dump, what size piping the dump, where the mufflers placed, etc.)

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the baffles on the mufflers are bad, a friend of mine whos a tech at a GM dealership and myself found it out. I'll post pics tomorrow hopefully of what space i have to work with...i just need mufflers, ill get diameters and stuff as well. It turndowns right before the tailgate of my truck.

·
Broke
350 Posts
Shift said:
:word: the shorter the turndown the louder it will be also. I think 40 series original flows sound great, but it all depends on how their setup (how long the dump, what size piping the dump, where the mufflers placed, etc.)
Yes running just a short dump will make it louder and more of a 'bass' tone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts