GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
professional grade
Joined
·
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, im not really looking for HUGE amounts of HP, more towards the sound. So out of flowmaster, magnaflow, borla or any of mufflers if you can think of them would make the truck have kind of a deep or mild tone at idle or regular cruising but when i rev it up high or stomp on it make it real loud like it should?
 

·
samcarol
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
get bigger pipes :read: Get a 3 inch dump and it'll be plenty loud. I have an original flow 40 2 chamber. its pretty loud. If you just want loud, go with a spintech
 

·
professional grade
Joined
·
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2k1slvrdo said:
get bigger pipes :read: Get a 3 inch dump and it'll be plenty loud. I have an original flow 40 2 chamber. its pretty loud. If you just want loud, go with a spintech
you think i should go with the 3" pipes? my truck has the true duals and i cant find a kit for the ECLB but i planned on dumping it. but if i got bigger pipes id take it to a local shop and obviously it been a small local shop they have a regular pipe bender so is it gonna make a difference if they arent nice mandrel bent pipes? and noise isnt everything...if it makes noticable horsepower difference, or response then thats good.
 

·
professional grade
Joined
·
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yoskater said:
Well... hmm... :think:

This is a tough question. :shrug:

Theres about 486 answers..
well...you can probably weed out half or so, cuz i have never seen an exhaust system for an ECLB truck..maybe im not looking hard enough? anyways, anything you can think of to add would be helpful to me :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,370 Posts
I was just joking around.. yeah I dunno if they have a compelte exhaust kit for your long bed, but screw it! I'll never throw away my money again buying some exhaust "system" or "kit" now that I know all you need is a muffler and a turndown :crazy:

Anyways, the sound is mainly going to come from the muffler, and you have hundreds of mufflers to choose from. I have had gibson, flowmaster, and dynomax bullet (current) and they were all nice but I like the dynomax the best. Check out www.ls1sounds.com , lots of exhaust sound clips there.. but keep in mind that all those cars/trucks are different and could be stock/highly modified.

How loud do you want it to be outside? On a scale from 1-10... like a low rumble or a loud ass cracking bark? Look around and listen to some clips... you can get just about any muffler for really cheap online. You said you wanted your exhaust dumped, so just get a 3" pipe with a turndown under the bed, an exhaust shop shouldn't charge you more than $30 for a piece of bent metal.

If all else fails... just get an eletric exhaust cutout. www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/ :D
 

·
professional grade
Joined
·
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yoskater said:
How loud do you want it to be outside? On a scale from 1-10... like a low rumble or a loud ass cracking bark? Look around and listen to some clips... you can get just about any muffler for really cheap online. You said you wanted your exhaust dumped, so just get a 3" pipe with a turndown under the bed, an exhaust shop shouldn't charge you more than $30 for a piece of bent metal.
well while at idle id like a low rumbling sound and not much more then that when just cruising but when i punch it i want that loud sound you hear from muscle cars...if thats possible? hah...i hear cars all the time that rumble then they punch it and its loud as hell. but should i keep my stock pipes or have them replace my stock ones with 3" pipes? my truck has the true dual exhaust so i figured that would be alright to leave those pipes, then get2 mufflers and put one on each and dump them...or should i just use a 3" pipe for the dump?
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
spitfire2332 said:
well while at idle id like a low rumbling sound and not much more then that when just cruising but when i punch it i want that loud sound you hear from muscle cars...if thats possible? hah...i hear cars all the time that rumble then they punch it and its loud as hell. but should i keep my stock pipes or have them replace my stock ones with 3" pipes? my truck has the true dual exhaust so i figured that would be alright to leave those pipes, then get2 mufflers and put one on each and dump them...or should i just use a 3" pipe for the dump?

If you want to retain your low end dont go with dual 3" exhaust, I run dual 2.5" exhaust on my 6.0, and believe me you need low end on these truck as much as possible. The thing I like about the dynomax is that its probably the cheapest possible mufflers you can get and they dont resonate in the cab like the flowmasters do.
 

·
internet bigot®
Joined
·
4,016 Posts
well if your looking for power, i say go for magnaflow... one of the shorter mufflers... i have the biggest one, and its decent on noise... a smaller one would be louder... which i will be switching to...
 

·
professional grade
Joined
·
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DeToN8TeD said:
If you want to retain your low end dont go with dual 3" exhaust, I run dual 2.5" exhaust on my 6.0, and believe me you need low end on these truck as much as possible. The thing I like about the dynomax is that its probably the cheapest possible mufflers you can get and they dont resonate in the cab like the flowmasters do.
yeah i was kinda thinking that because the exhaust is 2.25 i think and to me its not worth the money to upgrade .25 inches, and im really not looking for that much hp. are the dynomax pretty loud? or have a good rumble to them?

onyx said:
well if your looking for power, i say go for magnaflow... one of the shorter mufflers... i have the biggest one, and its decent on noise... a smaller one would be louder... which i will be switching to...
im not specifically looking for power but if i can get a good sounding muffle and it adds some power then all the better. i mean, my truck is fuggin huge and would prolly take quite a bit of mods to get it movin fast which isnt really what im looking for...and later on im looking to lift with some 38s and im sure some low end torque will help move the wheels
 

·
internet bigot®
Joined
·
4,016 Posts
if you want to keep low end then keep a stock y -pipe and get the 12" magnaflow muffler... you 'll get some good performance and sound
 

·
professional grade
Joined
·
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
onyx said:
if you want to keep low end then keep a stock y -pipe and get the 12" magnaflow muffler... you 'll get some good performance and sound
ok i really dont know much about my truck...but i know it has true dual exhaust up until there muffler...so is there a y pipe somewhere?
 

·
internet bigot®
Joined
·
4,016 Posts
ooohhh.... you gots true dual.... no you dont have a y-pipe... since you have true dual.. get an x-pipe installed.... just as good as a y-pipe
 

·
professional grade
Joined
·
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
onyx said:
ooohhh.... you gots true dual.... no you dont have a y-pipe... since you have true dual.. get an x-pipe installed.... just as good as a y-pipe
where does the x-pipe go? whats its purpose and how will it help?
 

·
internet bigot®
Joined
·
4,016 Posts
it goes after the cats and before the mufflers... it crosses the exhaust to keep the pressure up in your exhaust system which in turn keeps your back pressure up and gives you more low-end torque... if you go to any exhaust shop they will know what it is... magnaflow makes a nice aftremarket one.... the exhaust shop can fab up theyre own also, if they are any good.
 

·
professional grade
Joined
·
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
onyx said:
it goes after the cats and before the mufflers... it crosses the exhaust to keep the pressure up in your exhaust system which in turn keeps your back pressure up and gives you more low-end torque... if you go to any exhaust shop they will know what it is... magnaflow makes a nice aftremarket one.... the exhaust shop can fab up theyre own also, if they are any good.
alright...so you're thinking if i stay with my stock pipes, get the x-pipe, get a magnaflow muffler (honestly id have to hear it but yeah, ya know)..and then dump it...i would have a pretty good setup?
 

·
professional grade
Joined
·
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
onyx said:
heel yea :head2:
ALRIGHT here we go..last set of questions haha...i looked on magnaflow and i cant find a 12" muffler so if you could help me on that. and how long between the x-pipe and mufflers? cuz from the drivers side the pipe has a turn then straightens out to head to the muffler, so right after that turn when both pipes are straight is that where the x-pipe goes? and then would i just put the mufflers in the same spot as the stock one...then how long before a dump?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
if you have a true dual from the factory then you will want to check into or go with the same muffler i have.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/universal/oval.htm

all the way to the bottom. it is the 12569 or the 12568. it is designed to go directly into the system you have now. dual in and out. it has good sound down low and gets quiet on the freeway. it is a straight through design and has the true x pipe technology in it. i have it with no cats and it sounds good. good luck with it. check out my exhaust sounds on this forum. :D
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top