GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen setups running 2 5 1/4" mids in the front doors.
I'm thinking about running a component set in the kicks and another 6.5" in the door. how do I wire this up? do I run them paralleled off one channel of an amp? or run a 4 channel and split the signal (if the amp dosen't do it automatically from one input)?

any drawback to doing this? especially if they are different brands of speakers?

·
I need more power!!!!!!
113 Posts
Well i have the same set up that you are thinking of and it sounds great the only problem is that i dont have enough power from my alpin 75x4 amp to power 2 sets of components and the rear pillar speakers. As for the wiring, i ran the front speakers both on there own channel and justed added the rear ones into one of the channels since they require less power. Not neseccarly the right way to do since my amp over heats a lot but it works for now.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
if you want it to sound cleaner, run seperate channels. By doubling up the speakers you half the ohm load and increase the distortion by a good bit, sometimes by as much as 3-4x.

·
GM FOREVER
724 Posts
Run all the front speakers off a nice 4 channel and the back speakers off just deck power if you don't have another amp for them. That will give you better front staging.

·
Sweet bottom num nums
496 Posts
Run all the front speakers off a nice 4 channel and the back speakers off just deck power if you don't have another amp for them. That will give you better front staging.
though this seems like a good idea it never really works out very good. i would get a nice 4 channel for the fronts and a small 2 channel for the rears, it will be cleaner sounding and you will have more adjustments options. besides, 150 watt 2 channel amps are fairly cheap, for that matter so are 4 channels in this power range. they are right about distortion tripling or more when the ohm load is increased it is just more noticable in the mids and high speakers than in subs, also most mono channel amps are designed so that the distortion isnt as bad when run at lower ohm loads to help fight distorion in subs. and most mono amps are what they call a d class amp which isnt that great at sound quality to begin with but really efficient at making power, but thats a whole other story. hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts