GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently seen some trucks with the multiple shock system in the front and I like the way they beef up look of the front end, but I just have a few questions about them. What are the advantages/disandvatages? how will they effect my offroading abilty? I have priced them on some online lift retailers and they are around $300 or so, is that just for the shock hoops, or is that including shocks? I know that I am going with a procomp 6" full drop kit and I am considering the multiple shock system when I eventually lift my truck.

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
832 Posts
there really is no advantage to the double shocks. Its just for looks. I do agree tho i like the way it looks. disadvanatges are mostly that shocks arent designed to be run like that....I.E. not valved properly. Most often if you only run one shock it will ride better, unless you get shocks built to work together.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Good for show...not very great for daily drivin...id imagine it wouldn't hurt too bad off road...but wouldn't really help out much...

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Wrong. IF you correctly set it up it can be very nice. You have to get shocks that are corerctly valved to run in a dual setup but if you do there are advantages. First of all it reduces shock fading, your splitting the load up between 2 shocks so in situations like desert racing or driving long distances on washed out bumpy roads it each individual shock will not heat up as much and therefor perform better and have less damage done to the shock itself. If you have correctly valved shocks it will ride as good if not better than a single shock as well, especially considering you will be upgrading from stock! There are oterh reasons to run a hoop as well but most wouldnt apply to you. You can run a longer shock for more flex but your going to hit the IFS systems limits far before the shocks. Just make sure whatever kit you buy has the shocks valved correctly for your application. If you really want to spend some money you can order seperatly some bilstein shocks or something custom valved for you.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Yeah...they can work better IF people do thier research...i just wonder how often people research everything they need to know tho...because u have to think about how many people lift their trucks and NEVER take them off road...they do it just cuz they like the way it looks...don't care about performance...and they don't research enough goin into it...

·
Registered
199 Posts
It doesn't take all that much work. or money. The cheap way to do it is with the Rancho RS9000X series shock. You can get them for less than $85 a piece. They are adjustable so you can mess with them until you get what you want. Right now they are even doing a 4 for the price of 3 sale. You could even get that little in the cab control deal. Or hell go dual all around and put two of the controls in. A little gimicky for my tastes but it works. Now if you want drop some big bucks, Bilstein, King and and some others make shocks like DE talked about where you can pick your stiffness with the valving. And yes they offer valving that is so low that you wouldn't want to run it as a single shock. You can get into a set of bilsteins for around $150 a piece. Kings are going to hurt you. $350 to $400 a piece. It really gets interesting if you drop a dump truck of dough and go with position sensitive shocks. The one big advantage to the bilsteins and kings is that they are rebuildable.
I am going with duals all round with my lift but I haven't decided on the shock valving yet. I can't afford to upgrade the shocks so I am going to be a bit stiffer on the road than I want to start with.

I just thought about something. There are a lot of lifted pavement trucks out there with dual kings or bilsteins on the front. Usually reservoir types which means that they did have a choice in valving. Wonder if they took advantage of it. I bet Rancho would sell the crap out of those 9000's if they made them silver and with a reservoir.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Edelbrock already does that...

My views on dual shocks are that it's not needed. None of these trucks that drive the street all day need dual shocks or resevoir shocks. If you pre-run your truck and blast accross the dirt all day then buy some good shocks, but not duals. A single sway-a-way, when valved correctly, will work just fine. Class 8 desert trucks run single shocks with exception to the rear where they run a coilover and a bypass shock but only because they can't get both with one shock.

Don't bandaid the problem, just buy the correct product.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts