GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody else see the trucks where they dynoed the 93 350 auto? It got 145 hp at the wheels stock. After about 13-1400$ worth a multi port Edelbrock intake, filter, in tank pump, new fuel lines, and Im expecting like a 40-50hp jump. Fucking 20hp! My ricer housemate was rolling on the couch at me cuz I have a 93 350 GMC and after all that it only got 20 freakin hp!

anyway, how would yall spend that 1400 to get a 93 tbi going other than the bottle?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
definatley port n polish...i was reading a CHP article last night (need performance for my vortec since aftermarket has nothing for manifolds or heads)...on the 96 vortec heads with a 30 degree back cut on the valves and some minor porting...they picked up 13hp for around 250. You could also do a tune, MAF, CAI, TBI Spacer, CFM tech Throttle body (best in the business imo), manifolds. You could prolly throw in some 1.6rockers and a cam in there as well.

To me, $1400 would get me: 1.6 rockers, a 490lift cam, a shift kit, 150hp NX nitrous kit, tbi spacer, a cfm tech throttle body, and headers.

·
9,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I have the tb spacer(2 really),14" air cleaner( I know its not a cai), plugs ,wires, coil, Flowmaster, and turndown. If I had 1400 right now Id finish the stereo in my blazer, but if it were for the fs, I have a few things in mind. Vortech heads, RRs, cam ,headers, tbi, tbi intake for the vortechs and a chip for the mods
ok well thats like 1800 but whos counting the mod money?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
New cam, intake manifold (edelbrock 3704 is good), and new heads (L98 heads would be my choice). The stock intake manifold is restrictive, the cam is lame, and the heads would make better boat anchors. MPFI would help, but you can still get plenty of power out of the tbi with some engine work imo. I wouldn't waste my money on a spacer, I don't think they do much. Headers would help. Vortec heads are nice, but they have no provisions for EGR, so you'd have to work that out, and they expensive as hell (either 700 each or 700 for a set..can't remember). With all that you'll definitly need a tune (www.tbichips.com, but I'm holding out till allen does them.)

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
94flamds10blazr said:
anybody else see the trucks where they dynoed the 93 350 auto? It got 145 hp at the wheels stock. After about 13-1400$ worth a multi port Edelbrock intake, filter, in tank pump, new fuel lines, and Im expecting like a 40-50hp jump. Fucking 20hp! My ricer housemate was rolling on the couch at me cuz I have a 93 350 GMC and after all that it only got 20 freakin hp!

anyway, how would yall spend that 1400 to get a 93 tbi going other than the bottle?

Man, my F150 laid out about 135rwhp stock with the 302 and an AOD auto... so don't feel bad. It wouldn't even spin a single rear tire when it was a peg-leg 3.55:1 lol

So far (my truck was multiport EFI stock, now SEFI) I added all sorts of shit... Hooker LTs (had shorty before), high flow cat, Magnaflow muffler, adjustable fuel regulator, full MSD setup, e-fans, 4.10:1 gears with Eaton LSD, MAF kit with 75mm meter, and bumped the timing. So the motor is still stock...

With just opening the exhaust it runs WAY better! A mild RV type cam would work wonders too like a 204/214 .460/.480 114LSA that will make way more power than the stock POS cam ever could. Hell my stock cam is retarded 8° from the factory! :pissed:

Your heads are junk also like my 302 heads, but mine are worse! lol AFR165s add ~104hp over the stock shit on my truck. Yes 104hp...this was from a CarCraft on a stock short block stock cam 302! :D

What I'm saying it do everything you can to uncork it. What I've done should give you some ideas on where to start I hope...

·
9,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whifflebat said:
Vortec heads are nice, but they have no provisions for EGR, so you'd have to work that out, and they expensive as hell (either 700 each or 700 for a set..can't remember). )
you can get them for like 485or 495 from GMPartsDirect.com

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
Whifflebat said:
New cam, intake manifold (edelbrock 3704 is good), and new heads (L98 heads would be my choice). The stock intake manifold is restrictive, the cam is lame, and the heads would make better boat anchors. MPFI would help, but you can still get plenty of power out of the tbi with some engine work imo. I wouldn't waste my money on a spacer, I don't think they do much. Headers would help. Vortec heads are nice, but they have no provisions for EGR, so you'd have to work that out, and they expensive as hell (either 700 each or 700 for a set..can't remember). With all that you'll definitly need a tune (www.tbichips.com, but I'm holding out till allen does them.)
I have a chip from tbichips.com I really can't tell if it really does anything. My engine is still in stock form, except for headers, and K&N drop in filter. I'm still waiting too for Allen to come out with one for the OBS.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
1buda said:
I have a chip from tbichips.com I really can't tell if it really does anything. My engine is still in stock form, except for headers, and K&N drop in filter. I'm still waiting too for Allen to come out with one for the OBS.

Exactly, with a stock TBI engine, I don't think you'll see much difference with just a chip. They're making about as much power as the hardware can, unlike the newer trucks which just need a little computer help to improve things. If you change alot out though, a tune is needed because you've changed the computers whole world and it'll run like shit or just give you the finger and not run at all.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
94flamds10blazr said:

Most of that 20hp was gained from the intake manifold, alone. :read:

The Edel MPFI kit is a huge waste of money. You can make twice as much power for less than the cost of that kit. The vortec heads are another waste of money on a TBI. The swap will cost you about $1000, if you get very good deals on the parts you need, and you won't gain more than 30hp. The heads can be found for 300, intake is another 300, headers with EGR provision...300, custom tuning ...300, EGR pipe...40.

The heads, cam and intake should be the first things to go. I'd suggest L98 heads (#083) ported and polished, a crane 2030 cam, Edel intake 3704, long tube headers, 2.25" dual exhaust, new torque convertor based on cam and gears chosen, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 65lb injectors from a 9C1 caprice, TBI mods from thirdgen.org

·
9,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah but wont the vortecs give you a good starting base? Like a good palce to start so everything else will breathe right?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Everything else?

Do you intend to keep the TBI, or use a different injection system? If you plan on keeping the TBI, I would advise NOT using the vortec heads.

·
9,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im not saying Im doing anything. This was more like a thread thinking about what could be done better than a $1300 multiport system. I might do something with this truck sooner or later after I get the blazer done. I need a paint job and wanna lift it , slap some 35s on it, have it tow the Blazer around. If I do all that mainly I need better mileage out of and the added power needed for towing. Right now i get about 12mpg around town and 16 highway. I wanna do headers and maybe the tb and a tune so itll breathe easier and get some numbers in both categories. If it werent for the fact that it sucks so bad in mileage I might do more but 12 kills me! My modified lt1 in the blazer gets around 20 on average!
btw I know the 35s wil suck up some of the mileage so......Ive just never had a lifted truck. I might wait to do that till I get something newer like a 00-02 in a year or 2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts