GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 1996 Chevrolet 1500. It is a 4 wheel drive with ABS brakes. It has what could best be described as “mushy” brakes. I have heard that the 1996-1997 trucks were notorious for this. The brake pads/shoes on the truck are good. I’ve bled the brakes and checked all the lines for leaks. I’m wondering if anybody out there has experienced the same problem and what they have done to combat it? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Russ

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Hello,
I have a 1996 Chevrolet 1500. It is a 4 wheel drive with ABS brakes. It has what could best be described as “mushy” brakes. I have heard that the 1996-1997 trucks were notorious for this. The brake pads/shoes on the truck are good. I’ve bled the brakes and checked all the lines for leaks. I’m wondering if anybody out there has experienced the same problem and what they have done to combat it? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Russ
I had the same issue on a 96. Replaced master cylinder and it was fixed.

FYI, you may need a Tech 2 to bleed the ABS module thing

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
To be honest, nothing I EVER did gave me much of a pedal on my OBS. The only thing that really moved the needle was using a 99-up master cylinder. I believe you need an adapter for one of the fittings to make it work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts