GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be doing a 12-15inch lift on a 04 ext cab silverado 4x4 with the 5.3. I am going to be most likely running 20s and 40s. Do i need to regear? What will happen if i dont?

If i do regear now on a stock engine and than later decide to supercharge it will i need to re gear again?

·
Needs a truck
454 Posts
I would deff suggest re-gearing with 40's, 4.88's would be the way to go and if u supercharge ur gears will be fine, but ur tranny will need help.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
you should definetely regear. i would go with 4.88s. and then about the SC, i dont think the SC will make much of a difference interms of needing to regear. its simply more power and has nothing to do with how much effort is needed to turn the tyres.

·
2,451 Posts
yes, but regearing would take a hell of alot off of your transmission. If you supercharge youll most likely blow that cheezy ten bolt as well as your stock trannie and youll need a 14 bolt. I would maybe even go with 5.13's with 40's and 20's for extra power.

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
sandaddiction said:
Im going to be doing a 12-15inch lift on a 04 ext cab silverado 4x4 with the 5.3. I am going to be most likely running 20s and 40s. Do i need to regear? What will happen if i dont?
assuming you have 3.73s, your truck would take about 5 minutes to get to 60mph and your tranny wouldn't last very long.

·
ridin low no mo'
643 Posts
id go with 5.13's if you're gonna run 20s and 40's. and upgrade the rear end if you plan to put so much power to it with a SC

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
exactly what they all said, REGEAR. Also if you supercharge and have a heavy foot count on teh 10 bolt grenading.

·
i need a freak!!!
1,027 Posts
regear...i drove around a 04 ccsb on 40's and 20's with a 5.3 for a few days with stock gears and it was sloooooooooowwwww....the kid ended up putting 5:13's in...a whole lot better

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Cool. I have another 2 years of pre-pharmacy classes, and then hopefully i'll transfer to UOP. What sucks is Pismo is going to be a 4 hour drive if I end up in stockton.

·
Registered
703 Posts
O, cool deal. yah thats almost double the driving time, now that im out of high school i probably wont even see pismo too often, but ill most likely be transfering to cal poly then ill only be 15 minutes away :D

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Lucky.
I don't think i've ever seen you driving around. Where did you go to high school?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
If you plan on adding a super charger later on, 5.13's in a 10 bolt will blow up. The teeth on 5.13's, or even 4.88's are so close together, and it wouldn't take much to strip the teeth if you had a super charger and a lead foot.
I know I originally said 4.88's or 5.13's, but if you keep that 10 bolt, 4.56 might actually be a better choice. The super charger would make up for the loss in gear ratio, and the 10 bolt will stay in one piece.

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
either way, you are wanting to go big and with alot of power so your 10bolt is a ticking time bomb....Instead of wasting money on it like i did, just 14 bolt now and you'll be fine

·
Registered
703 Posts
I went to school in kerman, I have a lifted silver 96 chevy...if you have seen me thats most likely what i was driving but its going to be for sale here shortly.

Yes back to the topic, with 40's you most likely should get 4.88, especially with a supercharger, but if you want you can get 5.13 either way your truck will be slow. If you mostly do city driving then get 5.13, if you are on the freeways a lot then get 4.88.

Anything you choose you need to ditch the 10 bolt, you would be a bit foolish to keep that under your truck with 40's and a blower under the hood.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts