GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I hit a deer with my pickup last weekend and while I got it in the shop waiting for parts I'm going to be doing a lot of other work on it. Some also know I'm wanting to trade or sell this and get a new one, either a NBS Classic or a NNBS Chevy. So, I wanted to start a thread showing the paintwork and everything else I plan on doing of fixing it up, and will keep this thread updated with pics on most of everything up till its gone. Some of those things include:

-Fixing the front end damage from hitting the deer.
-Pulling all the stainless rocker paneling and moldings and doing some paintwork from the body line down. Fixing rock chips and rust spots in this step as well.
-The rest of the paint will be buffed and polished. The passenger side I got some nasty scratches from wheeling this spring that will be buffed out as well.
-Painting up the frame rails with undercoating.
-Repainting some of the interior panels and all door panels with black interior paint again since some paint has either rubbed or chipped off over the years.
-Pulling off my 5% tint.
-Laying down black tweed on the door panel inserts.
-Adding cats back on to the exhaust to make it legal again.
-Swapping my stock 16in. rims back on and selling the MB 16x8s.
-Removing my tonneau cover and finding a buyer for it.

Thats most of the stuff, many other smaller things will be done as well before I get rid of it as well.

Driver side progress.

This is what ya get when ya live in the country and drive gravel roads for 3/4 of the vehicle's life:

Rust spots that came up underneath the paint.

Progress on the passenger side.

Lastly, a picture of the front end damage again.

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, notice how its rustier on the passenger side than the driver side? I scraped alongside a light pole damaging the box and bottom part of the ext. cab door. Fixed it myself and the paint on the box was sanded down to bare metal, hence removing all the factory corrosion protection. After rock chips its more prone to surface rusting. Why it rusted up underneath the paint is beyond me. I had it all the bodywork and primer sanded up to painting and had someone else paint it for me.

Also, the tonneau cover I do have some pics, I can dig them up if ya want. Was going to offer it to a guy I know locally, then will probably put it up for sale online here.

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do a 2500 hd hood and grill swap while you at it...GL
That would be great, but since it didn't get the hood I won't go that route.

Been very busy farming, but did get the paneling and mouldings off the passenger side. Pulled some of the paint off in spots. Finish stripping off the tape and will start sanding down the rock chips, rush spots, then start scuffing up the rest of the paint for the bedliner.

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Been busy lately farming, buying a new pickup, and that and haven't taken much time to work on my '01. But do need to get on the ball and get it done and sold.

From last week...afraid this was going to happen on the passenger side. Note this isn't half as bad...the panel ahead of the rear tire on the box pulled off paint, primer, and body filler down to the bare metal in two small spots.

Started bodywork on the pass. side. Spots where the paint pulled off I feathered out and added some body glaze to it. Sanded on the clear coat line from the moulding on the door as well.

Went along with a sharpie marking all the little nicks, rock chips, and that. Most of the marks seen here are spots that have surface rust developing under the paint.

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been busy lately, progress on this thing is going kind of slow. For about 10 days the shop was out of propane so I had no heat. Anyways, right now its about 90% all masked up, then put a piece of plastic over the whole vehicle and tape it down and will be spraying this evening/tonight.

That is what I'll be putting on. 3M Rocker Schutz then base coat and clear over top of that. More pics to come real soon.

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All done. Unmasked pics tomorrow.

All masked up.

Wiped down with wax/grease remover and ready to spray.

Sealer.

Spraying 2nd coat of sealer.

Rocker Schutz all sprayed.

Spraying color.

Color.

Spraying 3rd coat.

All said and done after clear.

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use Dimension products. I believe its a Sherwin Williams line. Buy it all from one store, and have had great luck with their products on the smaller stuff that I've done at home. Have yet to do a large project like a whole vehicle with this stuff. The Rocker Schutz is some pretty good stuff, I think I'm going to use it on the bottom few inches on my '08. Once it was all done it looks like color matched bed liner.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I use Dimension products. I believe its a Sherwin Williams line. Buy it all from one store, and have had great luck with their products on the smaller stuff that I've done at home. Have yet to do a large project like a whole vehicle with this stuff. The Rocker Schutz is some pretty good stuff, I think I'm going to use it on the bottom few inches on my '08. Once it was all done it looks like color matched bed liner.
got any upclose pictures of it? have you seen how fords come with like a rocker guard on them, is it like that? i might order some up for the shop if i like how it looks

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya I can get some pics. I got to redo the panel right behind the driver side rear tire on the box :(

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Updates. Been slow lately, have been sick and busy working on the farm/ranch. Buffed out some nasty scratches that went the full length of the passenger side. Those came from a wheeling trip back in March. Did this last weekend.

Also in the pics are my 315s that I picked up for cheap. Pro Comp A/Ts 315/75 on the stockers. Only measure out to 33s mounted and bolted on.

An unmasked pic.

Started on the front end tonight. Getting the mangled bumper off was a bit of a pain.

I redid my taillights. New Z71 decals on as well.

Pics just for Joe. Upclose shots of the Rocher Schutz.

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
..and you'll buy me a whole strip bar....gee thanks!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.