GMC Truck Forum banner

My 03 Chevy ECSB Z71 "Build"

44K views 513 replies 32 participants last post by  SierraScott 
#1 · (Edited)
**WARNING: POTATO QUALITY PICTURES INSIDE**

So I figured it was time to make a thread about my shitbox. It's a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado Z71. Currently sits at 257,XXX

When I got it, it was stock other than a toolbox on the bed. It had some dents and scratches on it, and it was far from perfect. The first thing I did was add some Craigslist special 285/75 Wild Country MTs.

The next thing I wanted to do was add some audio to it. The truck had Bose which I liked, but I wanted more bass to even out the system a little. I got a cheap headunit, and a sealed probox with 2 Sony 10s and a 1300w Clarion 4-Channel. It's not the greatest set up, but it's good enough for me.

I kept having issues with bulbs in my tail lights, so I picked up some Ebay led tails.

I got some 3 inch torsion keys for Christmas. I didn't know any better, so I put them on and turned them all the way up and rode like that for a while.

Then one day, it rained. It rained hard. A branch broke off of the tree that I parked near and landed on the truck's hood and passenger front fender, and crushed a good bit of the hood. I was upset, but I knew I could have it looking good soon.

A couple weeks later, I found another hood and got it put on. I also found a set of 18x9 -12 Ultra Wheels on Facebook for a really low price so I picked those up as well.

I drove around for a little while, then one night I left a stop sign fairly easy and my G80 unit grenaded. I was about a mile from the house, so I limped it home. On the way home, I lost 1st gear. Me and a good friend tore it apart, and here's the aftermath.

After a complete 4L60E overhaul, and a Vette servo, we were done with the transmission. As for the rear end, we bulletproofed it and added a TrueTrac in as well.

Everything was well for about 3,000 miles or so, then the truck started getting down on power and throwing random misfire codes. I changed the MAF sensor, plugs, and the wires. I got my coils tested at the local parts store and they came back positive, yet the problem continued. I then thought to get my cats checked. Sure enough, my driver's side cat was completely clogged. I cut them both off and gutted them and threw them back on. I then got a Super 10 Flowmaster and threw it on downstream. The truck was actually pretty quick! I later left to go on a two week trip up north, and ordered some 33x12.50R18 RBP Repulsor M/Ts and got my new-to-me wheels put on. I also removed the toolbox.

I then took some GMFS advice and ordered some clear headlights. I never knew how different it would make the truck look.

Here's a pic with @Colyn. just for giggles. My painter may or may not have fucked my hood color up. :nonojest:

I looked at my front end one day, and didn't like the angles that my joints and CVs were on, so I decranked till I was level. I also had temporary 6.5" LED bars in my fog holes. It's also much easier to tow when you're not looking at the clouds.

I ordered a Zone 1.5 inch Bodylift and got it put on a few weeks ago. I also installed an Android 5.1 Headunit to replace my JVC, but I have no pictures of it.

That's how the truck currently is. Plans are as follows:

Tint
De-mould (done)
Ultra Predator 2's 20x12
Billet Grille
Switchbacks (maybe)
Different style of LED Tails

I'm open to any ideas you may have!

See less See more
Reactions: Obs luvr
#3 ·
need a how to on posting pics lol

#10 ·
Nothing much is new, I traded head units with a buddy for his double din Pioneer touch screen. Much better sound quality. I installed some kicker door speakers to replace my factory Bose, which were beginning to rot because of them being made out of paper. Crutchfield.com was a great help in this ordeal. Also updated my plans list. Should be ordering wheels in early April.

#12 ·
Yeah man, nothing like spending money on what could've been a lift, wheels, and tires on a trans and a set of gears. Oh well, it runs like a champ now.

#13 ·
I blew out an inner tie rod going 65 down the road one day. Death wobbled into a ditch, truck is fine and so am I. I tore a CV axle boot in the process, so the truck is in the shop getting both the inner road and the axle replaced. On the bright side, I'm only a month away from ordering wheels and tires. I can't wait to see those Ultra Preds!

Reactions: duke
#14 ·
I broke my phone today so there's good news and bad news. Good news: Soon and very soon you won't have to deal with my potato pictures and double posts. Bad news: Ordering wheels and tires just got pushed back a week or two.

Reactions: Obs luvr
#15 ·
Figured I’d update the thread while I have some time. Here’s the pics of my new head unit and a couple just whoring around waiting for the wheel fund to hit jackpot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
I also realized something, even if I did pay to redo everything on my truck and do it the way that y’all like, y’all would give me shit about it regardless. So what’s even the point of it?

#37 ·
The guy who runs the local body shop here hunts on the same land as we do, hopefully that’s enough for a discount.

#52 ·
I imagine a 1/2 cowl hood being a hood thats flat one one side, and cowled on the other, similar to how the old school turbo dsm's and svo's had a scoop on the turbo side and were flat on the other.

Why didnt you go with the 03 hd hood? Also I think your truck would look better without the z71 sticker it would finish slicking up the sides. But if you like it thats cool, it aint my truck.

#54 ·
I didn’t go with an HD hood because I found this one for dirt cheap and I was broke at the time lol. I would like to take those stickers off, but I’m afraid of there being a dirt line etched in the paint that I couldn’t be able to remove. Thanks for your input though, I really do appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.