GMC Truck Forum banner

My 1983 GMC Jimmy

6K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  LoudBowtie95 
#1 ·
I have a 1983 GMC Jimmy Sierra Classic. Originally had the 305 and 700r4 but now it had a 350 from a 86 suburban and a th350 transmission. 3.42 locking rear end. A/C works. Needs some interior work and needed tires when I got it fairly new paint job but has set up for a few years and it shows. Billit grille, new hood, doors, and Tailgate some years ago. Has the usual minor (very minor) rust in the rockers.

Little bit of background on it, my dad bought it back in the mid to late 90s from a family friend. He and my grandpa rebuilt the 350 from my grandpas suburban and dropped it in because the old 305 was a dog and showing it's age. The factory 700r4 was on its way out so it was rebuilt and well it didn't last and was rebuilt again and it lasted a little longer but capped out as well so my dad said the hell with it and bought a th350 from the junkyard, had it rebuilt and dropped it in and no issues since then. Rear end was wore out so my dad bought one out of the junkyard and he and my grandpa rebuilt it. Back then the truck was a mix of white, blue, primer grey, and rust red primer. My dad put a new door on the passenger side and a new Tailgate. Later on my dad sold the truck to my uncle. My uncle rebuilt the carburetor deleted the evap canister system bullsh*t. He replaced the hood and driver side door and then he painted it. Put a new dash pad in and did a few other small things.

And now it is mine and all I've done is put new wheels and tires, 33/12.5/15 nitro trail grappler m/t on 15x10 wheels, and new wiper arms. On to the pics

When I first got her

Then new wiper arms, painted them tan

And then I finally got the wheels and tires on

And a little dirty

And then a fresh wash

That's it for now. Will update when ever money permits me to modify.

See less See more
#2 ·
Look clean in the last pic. Paint looks great.

#9 ·
#bussin

#14 ·
Update:
Installed 24 inch single row light bar on front bumper.
Ordered and received flowtech longtube headers.
Noticed my intake and valve covers leak.
Replaced module in distributor
Figured out why the back glass wouldn't go up or down and it's fixed and fully functional

That Green Jimmy

#26 ·
Well here is an update of what's going on. Noise never quit and she started skipping again really bad this time though. I pulled the plugs and well #7 had been hit and was no longer gapped. Well that explains my miss fire. So me and my grandpa l pulled the head and found out that the #7 piston is destroyed. The head gasket was blown between #5 and #7. Upon finding this we found out the block is cracked between #3 and #5. So now I need a new motor. I've already got another block is a 86-88 350 2 bolt main. Going to have vortec heads w/ summit vortec intake and a polished crank. Everything else is going to be pretty much stock. If I've got the cash by the time we get the motor built I'm going to get a new carb. Going with either a Holley street demon 1900/1901 or a Edlebrock performer 1406.

That Green Jimmy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.