GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Some dude on the internet
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A new level of boredom has pushed me to do stupid shit, so here I am making a thread on here.

I've owned this thing since 2005 when I bought it from my grandparents. Never posted anything back in the early days because I just drove it as is, boring and stock asf for a long time. Started actually doing shit to it in early 2018 after it would barely run, steering column broken all to shit, etc, so here's the backlog. Not posting it all at once because I plan on spamming the NEW every day or so until I run out of progress photos, which won't take long since I don't know where I wanna take this thing. Alright stfu now, here's some pics:

Bringing it to the house after letting my uncle borrow it and thoroughly fucking it up.

1.jpg

Rolled into the garage and contemplating the plan

2.jpg

3.jpg

Bonus steering column fuckery:

·
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You’d think so by the column, but no. Sadly that was my uncle trying to fix the turn signal cam and wobbly tilt bolts. Needless to say he couldn’t do it and rage quit with a pry bar. I got a new column out of it though.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
In for the content.

·
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boring, but progress nonetheless. One of the first things I did was hinge pins, bushings, and rollers. This door is fucked but I needed it to actually close. I have a good straight one from the junkyard. Just needs painting and put the guts in it. But whole truck needs paint, so who knows when that’ll get done.

Also you can see the new column below. Didn’t take pics of that job.

New door. I’ll get around to it. Maybe.

·
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mid-Feb 2018

Yanked a 6.0 out of an 05 Yukon. Buddy owed me so we traded some shit back and forth for a "built" 65e (cue the 0L60e memes, lol). Don't ask why he painted the bellhousing and extension housings red and black, but oh well. Plan is to go 80e at some point, but it's been going 3 years and still has all 4 and R, so...

·
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nah, it’s 2wd. I’ve though about SAS’ing it one day, but idk. There’s a few guys that have done it using the factory frame buckets for a coil setup and looked pretty slick. Like I said in the OP, idk which way I ultimately wanna go.

·
Premium Member
Solid axle '01 Tahoe/'03 Sierra/'18 Silverado
375 Posts
Wow....i ignored the "c1500" in the title. I saw that black tail cone and it kinda looked like no tail cone so my brain went to 4wd.

I wonder if the frame buckets are close enough in spacing to use the same diff i did. It would be stupid easy to SAS if they are.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I wonder if it would be too difficult to add the gmt800 ABS while you're at it? Not necessary, but kinda novel

·
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No need to mess with all that. She’s an old girl, rear ABS only.

·
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It’s a 31 year old lifted 2wd with Rear abs only and double the factory power and no airbags, I mean how dangerous could it really be?

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
It'll be fine, i was just throwing it out there.

I love builds like these. Keep it up with posting the content. It's awesome.

On another note. Planning on using the L31 air box, with the gmt800 ducting? I think that's how i would do it

·
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I actually did something a little bit better than the L31 box, IMO. That’ll be coming up soon.

·
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
March 2018

Went ahead and tore the 6.0 down and decided to just go all through it and get it all up to snuff.

My cleanroom quality teardown, nothing too out of the ordinary for a 185k gen 3 other than one broken ring land and one roached rod bearing. Couldn't find pics of those, but eh. Good news is it has the later "gen IV" style rods since it's out of an 05.

m.jpg

1 - 20 of 65 Posts