GMC Truck Forum banner

My 77 project

4K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  70 ELCO 
#1 ·
Picked this up at an auction pretty cheap, runs great (nice 350), but still needs a little work. I need to revamp the interior, fix a few non-working gagues, fix a few rust spots and repaint. Oh yeah and the first thing I need to do is get rid of the toolbox.

Anyone know where I can get reasonably priced parts for the interior. (carpet, bench, headliner, belts) I found some nicely priced parts online, but have not rebuilt a car since my 67 Camaro in the mid 80's so I have been out of the loop for quite some time.

#14 ·
I got my LMC Truck catalog in the mail the other day. Hellllloooo Christmas list. Once I get the fuel sending unit replaced and she's good for inspection I'll start on the interior. The one thig that I am not happy with is trying to find a stereo to fit her. I can buy a retro one thru LMC that fits right in but it's 350$ for an am/fm cassette. I don't want to have to cut, so if someone knows where I can find one at a bit better of a price I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm also waiting to find someone to buy my 89 Mazda MX6 turbo, so I can use the space and extra $ on my truck.

#15 ·
Yeah, LMC does have pretty good deals on most stuff, but you gotta' watch 'em sometimes. Classic Parts also stocks 73-87 GM Truck parts and catalogs. Their radios are a little less....they range from $165-295.00 I think. Year One also carries parts and accessories. Between the three I haven't come across anything I can't find. Basically.....If they aint got it, you don't need it. BTW....Nice truck.

#16 ·
It's a pain to install a cd deck in our trucks. The way to do it is take a die grinder with a wheel on it and cut the necessary sized hole to fit a deck in. Then you will have to do other minor modifications. Mine fits better than any of my other vehicles.. It's not bad if you know what your doing and take your time.

#22 ·
For the radio if you don't want to cut, you can install it in the glove box. Or since you are doing the interior over, if you are going to have buckets, i would build a custom console and you could put it in that. You could also throw a sub woofer into the console while your at it. :pepper:

#23 ·
Thanks for the compliments and advice. I have her sitting over at my folks house till I can sell my Mazda (boss won't let me keep both at the house) but I'm gonna hopefully get to the fuel system this weekend. I have thought about creating a custom console for the stereo, and will probably talk that over with my Dad and Father-in-law (2 ex mechanics). I'll post pics as I go along to keep all of you guys up to speed.

#25 ·
The LMC catalog is great for all the pics and aprts referrences. Beyond that use great caution when ordering parts. The quality is not what you expect. There are times when I have bought GM parts from the dealer for less than the import crap that LMC sells.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.