GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Member #1303
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(96 vortec v8 engine)
a couple weeks ago i was bsing with a mechanic friend of mine, looking under my hood and whatnot. ne noticed my belt tensioner was loose, saying that it was common on gms. i said what torque should i set it to and he said we just make it as tight as we can.

so i did make it as tight as i could, and yesterday the bolt broke. :pissed:

so now i need to find out how to fix this and get the part number for the bolt.

i'm thinking that if i take off the alternator, i can get at the frame that holds the tensioner and alternator, i could get that off the engine and drill out the bad bit.

has this ever happened to anyone before? what can i do to make this easier on myself? what is the belt tensioner bolt PN?

THANKS!
mike

·
Registered
196 Posts
Every bolt in out engine has a specific torque. This is the number one reason I am always scared to take my truck to mechanics. They always fail to torque the bolts down to the specific lbs. I've seen valve covers cracked because it was not torqued just tightened. I wish I could find a reliable mechanic with torque wrenches. They are real hard to find. Till then we should all invest in torque tools. They are more important than we can even imagine. "That's all I have to say about that."

·
Member #1303
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm usually pretty good about torque, I even make sure all my lug nuts are correct. Just didn't think too much about it this time though. AINT GONNA HAPPEN AGAIN!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts