GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, here's the scoop. I got into an accident last july, receiving a side-swipe, so I changed out my fleetside, to a stepside. Ever since I bought the new stepside bed, it's been crooked, but the fleetside bed was also crooked too after the crash. Here is my truck the day it got sideswiped.

Now you can see right there, that the body lines do not match up.

Now here comes the pics of the stepside bed that I took recently. Keep in mind, in order to try and correct this problem, i inserted a few washers on the bolt closest to the cab, on the passenger side, so this is artifically spacing that up in an attempt to correct the problem, which it doesn't really do, except make it look right from the back.

There's a previous post i've made about my axle being bent, well I went to an alignment place, and had them check and see what's going on, in order to save me money, all they did was check for level and confirmed that indeed my axle was bent so that's going to be replaced, but I don't think that would have anything to do with this. I didn't have them check alignment or see that the frame is straight, maybe I should have. Thanks a lot for any suggestions guys, im trying to straighten (haha) out some of these little problems with the truck just to perfect it if you will.

Brandon

EDIT: When i got sideswiped... my truck being so old and rusty, the u bolts just snapped and the rear end fell out behind the truck, so I wouldn't think the frame got twisted, but anything is possible?

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
why not just get rid of the truck dude.......

the frame is jacked and its really old, dont dump a ton more money into it.

just my opinion.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Yeah, if you didn't have the frame checked I guarentee it's not straight anymore...

Cameron

·
Registered
476 Posts
Frame is bent, get it fixed or junk it!

If you got hit hard enough to snap the rear end out that's a pretty good hit. That frame needs some serious work.

LK

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
I'd go get some estimates on how much to straighten everything to like new condition. Then I'd weigh those against parting out this truck and purchasing another similar model. Might come out cheaper to just part this one out and put the money along with the repair money towards another truck. Sorry to see it so twisted up :(

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
My bed looked alot like yours, but my frame wasn't bent, just the bed and the washer thing worked for me. Looks like it's time for a body dropless chassis :)
I'd go to a junk yard and price a good frame also. If you're anywhere close to the Evansville, In area I know where there's a junk yard that has a few in good shape that they'll only want $250-$500 for.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've done some investigating this weekend, and im pretty sure that the front driver side tab that the first bolt goes onto it just a little tweaked. That's the only thing keeping it out of straight. As far as the frame, i took measurements on a level patch of pavement, and the frame is the same width apart from side to side all the way down the back, and also the same measurements from ground to frame on each side, so im pretty sure the frame is fine. I'll keep you guys updated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts