GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I was merging onto the interstate when my (pinion) u-joint exploded. It sheared the lobes off of the driveshaft and damaged my brake lines. Then the transmission started smoking and leaking atf. All of this happened within ten seconds. I pulled the rear driveshaft and was able to drive the truck onto my trailer. Anyways I think now is a good time as ever to swap my tranny for a 4l80e and possibly a 6.0l. My questions are:
Do I need a different transfer case to do the swap?
I want to run a NA 6.0, which block would be better for that?
Are the driveshafts the same for ECSB 4l60es and 4l80es?
All of my 5.3 accessories should bolt right on to the 6.0 right?
Other than modifying the tranny cross member, everything else should just bolt in correct?
I will need a new tune right?

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
the 80e wont bolt up to the stock t case, and you will need a different driveshaft. if you wanna run NA, go with a LQ9 out of a silverado ss, or escalade. All of your accessories will bolt right up. you will need a tune, and a new torque converter, and wiring will have to be modified for the 80e. speed eng. (a sponsor here) has the entire swap kit for you.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
thats kind of unusual... is it a 10 bolt??? I would upgrade the trans and axles before you did any kind of motor swap... thats JMO though.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah its still has a 10 bolt. I figured that if I had to fix the tranny I might as well put in a 6.0l and I won't have to buy adapter plates. So I would need 3/4 ton autotrac t-case?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
That 10b isn't going to hang out too long with that much added power.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
32 spline input swap or 32 spline t-case will be needed.
Harness modification.
Turbine speed sensor added.
Crossmember placement change.
2"s removed from rear driveshaft, 2"s added to front.
80e bin files put in with a tune.

Should be it.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
:imo i would go with a built 65e for an N/A 6.0L. that way you don't need to swap anything.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:imo i would go with a built 65e for an N/A 6.0L. that way you don't need to swap anything.
Thats a good idea too. Aren't 65Es more expensive to build compared to an 80e? I figured I'd throw in a shift kit and call it done. Also would the 65e bolt right up to a 6.0L or would I need adapter plates?

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
the 65e will bolt right up to the 6.0. silverado SS, denali, and escalade have the 6.0/65e combo. as far as the cost of a built 65e vs. 80e, i've heard its around the same price. the only thing about the 65e is that you can just bolt it right in. but you might run into more money with the 80e swap because you're 4x4.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts