GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member # 625
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 C1500. My DRLs are starting to work intermittently. They work sometimes and sometimes not. The normal headlights are not affected and the fuse is getting power when the key is in the "ON" position but when the fuse is in the socket, there is no continuity; I checked with my dad's voltmeter. The 20 amp fuse is not broken and I am running out of things to check. The DRLs are just lower power versions of the low beam headlights, so I know it can't be the bulbs themselves. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Member # 625
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump :mexsmoke:

·
Registered
166 Posts
is the emergency brake on at all???...some put a couple of clicks to "disable" the DRLs and it isn't difficult to get a click or two on the E-Brake...
Bill

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
If you look under the dash where your right leg is, there will be a little black box mounted under there. Its possible it could be going bad. If you need one pay the shipping and you can have mine. I removed it b/c I hate DRL's

·
Member # 625
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys.

Silversport: Its not the e-brake b/c the green DRL indicator light is still shining on my dash. I've checked it and use it pretty regularly.

Jaybo: Since you've disabled your DRLs, does the green dash indicator light still shine? I'd really hope this thing is as simple as a relay.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Yes it does.

·
Member # 625
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to update in case this happens to anyone else:

The diode that makes the DRLs slightly more dim than the full-on low beams was burned out. A friend of mine who is a mechanic at a Chevy dealership helped me out and got some wiring diagrams for the truck.

The diode itself is a small (about the size of a pack of cigarettes) black, heat sink looking box. Yellow and orange wires run into/out of it. Its not too difficult to find and replace, just takes some time. Its located right under the dash near the middle of the truck. Its replaced now and the DRLs are back in business.
Thanks for listening. :cool:

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
is the emergency brake on at all???...some put a couple of clicks to "disable" the DRLs and it isn't difficult to get a click or two on the E-Brake...
Bill
For future reference...Another option if you wanted to do something like this, is to just hack the e-brake wire. You'll still get the "brake" indicator, but at least you will be sure that you're not dragging your brakes.

That's also good for overriding the automatic headlights on a 97 Pontiac. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts