GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, hope this is the right spot to show it.

Anyway, for an 1989, the trucks tailgate was in decent shape, but underneath it had a lot of rust. My g/f's nephew did the body work. He did an amazing job. All red cedar, sealed. Turned out great!! Going to be making end tables that match.

The tailgate band is the original one. The top tailgate protector was aftermarket way back when, he polished both up really nice!

4x4's
2x4's
1 1/4" x 6" deck boards

finished:

at the start:

other shots:

The truck, don't judge. I was in highschool, and later in college and didn't change much from then. Yes, way too many decals and shit all over it, that was the thing to do...:

·
CHIMICHANGA
3,275 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Good looking work. Love automotive stuff turned into furniture.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Looks good.
Is the tailgate mounted to the seat or just wedged in between the arm rest and back post?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I'm starting mine as well, got a 72 tailgate couple months ago i recleared satin. Mine will be held to bench with l brackets

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good.
Is the tailgate mounted to the seat or just wedged in between the arm rest and back post?
Thanks everyone!

Roscoe, honestly, I didn't mean to have it wedged in there, I was going to use tailgate cables and wrap them around the 4x4's to secure them. I measured the tailgate to be 64" long, I made the 4x4's stick out wider than that as you can see (this required the 2x4 subframe to be longer) and the tailgate fit in there perfectly. This was without the side panels installed. Once we installed them the tailgate wouldn't fit completely, I unscrewed the deck screws and we slide the tailgate down into place, I then secured the screws again. The tailgate is held in place by the top of the 2 side panels, it won't move :)

Just make sure you measure everything. I drafted this all out on paper beforehand. Make the frame wider than the tailgate and compensate for the side braces (as seen on the side shot).

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
side tables are in progress...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts