GMC Truck Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
we also use 6010 to root thin wall pipe, completely different procedure though.

most of our thick(1" to 2 5/8"s ) pipe/vessels is mig root, with 7018 fill, and subarc cap.

I currently have my C pressure, subarc, and mig root tickets.

he didnt even state the size of rod nor the type of mechine used, and theres also arc force to consider..
i can tell by the bead i'm pretty sure its an 1/8" rod and 155 amps is 155 amps regardless if its a Miller 225 Bobcat or a 1979 Lincoln cracker box.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
:rofl2:
yea ok...
tell that to my 500cummins.
dials are never to a tit, dont be dumb.
half our miller wall units at work are 15-30 amps off.
Assuming the give machines are in well maintained condition the out put will be the same. I can't help that your millers are junk. Even at 30 amps off, a 60XX rod woudlnt be ran higher then 130 on the hot side.

·
As seen on TV!
863 Posts
Those do look really good for just starting. I agree that you may want to turn it down some and slow down your travel a bit. Also, if I remember correctly a 6013 is a sheetmetal rod isn't it?? That would be one reason you wont be using them much.

I'm on my last semester at school for my degree in welding...and they just started me on MIG...I hate it lol. I've been doing stick forever now, and TIG for a semester, and I like those so much better!

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Those do look really good for just starting. I agree that you may want to turn it down some and slow down your travel a bit. Also, if I remember correctly a 6013 is a sheetmetal rod isn't it?? That would be one reason you wont be using them much.

I'm on my last semester at school for my degree in welding...and they just started me on MIG...I hate it lol. I've been doing stick forever now, and TIG for a semester, and I like those so much better!
I was the same way. But by the time you're done you'll wish you could take the mig every where you can take the stick. Mig does suck outside tho. the wind is NOT your friend when mig welding with shielding gas.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts