GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 Z71 tahoe....as far as mods it has a cold air intake and flowmaster exhaust soon to be switched out with a full magnaflow system. I also have ford torsion keys and 305's on it! My fuel pump is getiing replaced here in a couple of days! I drove to nashville Tn last night and I added it up and I got 12miles to a gallon:bawl: with the cruise set on like 75mph. I think sumthin is wrong with it cuz that is terrible for an almost factory vehicle! I would atleast think I would be gettin 15miles to a gallon??

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
381 Posts
My truck get between 16-18. Then again I am running 265-70/17's. If you cut the speed down to about 60 the drag is greatly reduced and will result in better fuel mileage, but who wants to go 60 mph?? NOT ME!! The tires will kill the mileage too. If you go with a highway tread tire and the factory size, I can bet $ you will see the mpg go up greatly!!

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Driving 75mph isn't helping either.

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah But when you are runnin down the interstate if you run 60 you will get ran the f$ck over! You think if I added a programmer it would help?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yeah But when you are runnin down the interstate if you run 60 you will get ran the f$ck over! You think if I added a programmer it would help?
It won't help at all. At least the Superchips one I had didn't help me any.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
before i programmed my truck, i couldn't get an accurate mpg measurement but i did know that 3 hours on the highway at about 70, I only used half a tank. Now that it's programmed it uses a little more gas so I'd assume the programmer hurt my economy.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

Well, then you can't complain. There is a slow lane for cruising.

A tune helped me. Picked up about 3mpg freeway and about 1.5 city.

·
Registered
144 Posts
even though I love lifted trucks, when I buy new tires I'm just going to keep the factory size tires but with an aggressive tred. so i don't lose gas milage and power.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I had Allen (@ Nelson Perf) tune mine back in the stoneage with LS1-Edit LOL

Get 19-21mpg freeway going about 65mph. On 33s, 3.73:1 gear, efans, Flow, intake.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I have an 02 Z71 tahoe....as far as mods it has a cold air intake and flowmaster exhaust soon to be switched out with a full magnaflow system. I also have ford torsion keys and 305's on it! My fuel pump is getiing replaced here in a couple of days! I drove to nashville Tn last night and I added it up and I got 12miles to a gallon:bawl: with the cruise set on like 75mph. I think sumthin is wrong with it cuz that is terrible for an almost factory vehicle! I would atleast think I would be gettin 15miles to a gallon??

Any help would be appreciated
Sorry, but everybody who in this thread who said it's your tires is wrong. I ran 305/70/16's for almost a year and I averaged 15 AT THE LEAST. Usually I averaged around 16.5. I drive around 80 mph all the time too. There is no way in hell you shold only get 12 mpg. Tahoes generally get better gas mileage(at least compared to my truck).

1 - 20 of 73 Posts