GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I will NOT cowboy up!
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a couple of friends and i went out shooting saturday. we went up into the capitol forest which is this huge forest with old gravel logging roads snaking through it for miles and miles. so we go really far up into the hills to get away from the quads and dirt bikers and find a good place to shoot shit. here's my truck where we stopped:

then we head down the hill to go home. i end up going a tad bit fast around the wrong corner and end up hitting a ditch/bump thing in the middle of a "Y" in the road. it bounched the truck pretty bad and it shifted all the weight to the right front tire and i here what sounds like the tire rubbing really bad on the running board. i get out to check if anything was hurt and i find this:

the UCA drop bracket had pivoted outwards pushing the top of the tire out. apparantly i forgot ONE bolt that connects the UCA drop to the rear subframe. :nono: so we limp the truck home. by the time we get there the tire has pushed the UCA drop almost back into place. i pound on it a little and get a new grade 8 bolt fom home depot and put it in. luckily there was no permanent damage, just gotta get a new alignment now.

and wouldn't you know, all my friends that still live in town were on the roads on the way home. :crazy:

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
Wow, that could've been much worse. You're lucky.

So nothing got fucked up? That's crazy. Again, you're lucky.

All in all, you're a lucky mofo! :anitoof:

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
willyswanter said:
Yet another great story showing the superiority of IFS :D But I guess if your going to leave bolts out anything can happen...
Imagine what would happen if you left out say... one of your shackle bolts :crazy:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Only thing that would happen is alot of banging noises... The axle wouldn't go anywhere... Now if I left out all 4 spring bolts, that could be interesting, but I don't do that stuff :crazy:

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
heh yeah it would be interesting to say the least. I try not to do that stuff either :D

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
damn slimm... when i saw that second pic i thought you busted your ball joint. I'm glad it was a cheap and easy fix for you.

I still don't understand how it happened though.. which bolt did you leave out? My drop down upper arm brackets bolt on in 4 different places, so i don't see how missing only 1 bolt would cause that.

And doesn't the cognito have all that extra bracing and stuff?? Do you mind taking a pic and showing me which bolt you actually left off?

Thanks.. and i'm glad you and your caddy are ok.

·
I will NOT cowboy up!
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i thought i broke a ball joint too until after a couple minutes of inspecting it. thedrop bracket has four bolts: two in the stock UCA pockets, one on the frame towards the front, and one that connects it to the rear subframe. i forgot the one on the rear subframe because the UCA blocks it from view so i didn't know it wasn't there until too late.

the rear part (left in the picture) of the UCA drop pivoted outwards.
i was definately lucky nothing really broke or got damaged.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Man, im glad to see it was just that missing bolt...IFS is too complex tho, and that kinda proves it...SFA has 2 bolts in the hangers, 4 in the shackles, and 4 u bolts holdin the axle on...all of which are easy to see and get to...yet another reason i love SFA...

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
wow, that's crazy.

i still can't believe it did that... i would think the bolt on the frame would have been enough to hold the drop down brackets in place. You must have hit pretty hard to make it knock out like that

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
DemoN said:
offroad trucks rule! :LOL::LOL::LOL: :anitoof:
Hey there is a difference between offroad trucks and lifted street trucks... Don't blame us off road guys for what happens to guys who put big tires on 1/2 ton IFS and forget bolts :crazy:

·
I will NOT cowboy up!
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ya, blame me for what happened, not IFS or lifted/offroad trucks. :anitoof:

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
willyswanter said:
Hey there is a difference between offroad trucks and lifted street trucks... Don't blame us off road guys for what happens to guys who put big tires on 1/2 ton IFS and forget bolts :crazy:
:nono:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts