GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a Fabtech lift kit...hmmm...Fabtech.

If I was to do it over again I definitely would have waited and done the Cognito 7-9 kit. Every kit has slight fitment issues since every truck/car is slightly different and things shift, but this kit was beyond that and into some poor design.
Plus I feel like the rear did not lift enough and now I want to add some spacers but don't know if that would even be possible to cram in there... :blah:

I have the front only cranked ~ 1" and it sits a little higher than the back to help clear the tires - I had to do some moderate trimming as well.

Issues with the kit that will hopefully help others make their decision:

1. Rear crossmember required extensive grinding of the front diff to clear it - basically down to the case in some spots
2. Skidplate holes do not line up anywhere close, I still have to bore out the holes to line them up and mount it
3. Torsion bar crossmember drop down brackets did not line up correctly to mount up and drill holes and required some fabrication
4. Rear impact struts brackets did not have a way to drill and mount third bolt into the tranny crossmember so only 2 were used like it said it was supposed to be for the 1999 and earlier models
5. No way to drill and mount via bolts for the rear bumpstop extensions so we just said Fug it and welded em on real quick
6. I must say that it was a GIANT pain the ass to compress those lift coils and try to squeeze them in as well *not necessarily a design flaw - probably the same for all kits*

Anyhow cheers!

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Thats almost any lift. you gotta make em fit man, these are mass produced, every truck will be slightly different.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats almost any lift. you gotta make em fit man, these are mass produced, every truck will be slightly different.

Yeah, that was kind of my thought as well.

Thanks guys

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
Looks solid man, pretty urban assault vehicle. Congrats, I'm from austin too

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks solid man, pretty urban assault vehicle. Congrats, I'm from austin too
Austin :thumbsup:

Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
that hoe looks real good man

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
looks good, my friend is running a Cognito 7-9 on his 06 cc and it seems to be pretty solid
Cognito 10-12" :read:

looks really good, the black wheels are nice change from the ordinary chrome

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
where in Austin are you? Do you ever go to any of the meets on Saturdays? I'm in south-west austin near Dripping Springs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts