GMC Truck Forum banner

My New K5!

3K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  casey97z71 
#1 ·
So as a few of you know, I went to look at an K5 today, and ended up buying it! It's an 86, with a plethra of modifications. I originally intended to buy a relatively stock K5 and build it up myself, but I spotted this one for sale on the internet and just couldn't pass it up.

Specs:

1986 K5
Engine is a GM crate 350 TBI(fuel injection), only 1500 miles since install. Edelbrock intake manifold, Edelbrock Cam, new radiator, hoses, belts, everything.
700r4 Transmission, Stage 3, built by Bowtie Overdrives, 1800 stall, shift kit, B&M tranny cooler and temperature guage, 500 miles since install.
Rebuilt np241 with SYE.
1350 shafts from Highangledriveline front and rear.
14FF, geared 4.10 and open.
8 lug 10 bolt from a 3/4 ton truck up front, 4.10 and open.
Warn Premium hubs.
Pro-Comp stainless brake lines up front.
Steering shaft from an XJ, box enforced with ORD's steering brace, and yes the weld on kit is on the list for Spring Break installs.
ORD shackle flip rear, with 0-rate.
EZ Ride lift springs up front, and 0-rate will be ordered soon.
36x12.50r16 TSL Radials on x10 black steelies.
Summit tach.
Grant steering wheel.
Optima Red Top.
MV-50 Air Compressor wired/mounted in the back.
800 watt power inverter mounted under the driver's seat.
JVC deck that is only a few months old.
Tow hooks up front, class V hitch out back. The guy gave me a really nice drop hitch, too.
136,000 miles on body/frame.

There are a few spots where the paint is chipping, but there is no significant rust AT ALL. The only spot is above the driver door, and it's nothing major at all. Back window(and the switch to control it up front) works great, the top has NEVER been removed. Guy who I bought it from bought it from the original owner, his very good buddy. Runs great, shifts damn firm and I'm headed up to Frank Raines on Sunday to see how it does! :head:

I took TONS of pictures, but unfortunately I left my camera at my girlfriend's house, so I will post them up tomorrow evening. This was the only one I have, it's from my cell phone. Pics in full tomorrow, I promise.

Oh and yes the ugly exhaust tip is already gone, it's got a Super 40 with a turndown now.

See less See more
#2 ·
I got home around 2 this afternoon, drove it to a few places tonight, and have already gotten pulled over. TWICE. My headlights apparently on "high" according to the two seperate officers, but they aren't..... I pull the stalk back and I can see the light pattern change, low beam to high. However, all 4 lights are always on, should only two be on when just the low beams are on? I can't keep getting pulled over, lol. The second cop was a dick, made me do a couple sobriety tests, watching his hand back and forth and shit. Then he looked at my license and said "turn off your high beams and get out of here." :crazy:

#15 ·
Nice find Casey! You and Clem will be able to talk Blazers next time at Pismo lol.
Yes we will. This summer I will be down there quite a bit :imo.

nice nice....we need to make a running tally of all the white blazers on here.
+1 more now!

Looks ready for a Detriot NoSpin locker??!?!?!?!
I'd say it is def ready. Haha I'll take it man, I'll send you a PM in the next day or two to get the details worked out. That work for you? Thanks.

#26 ·
Looks great! What're the plans?
Well for starters I'm buying a Detroit from SIKGMC this week, then a 0-rate for the front, and the weld on steering brace from ORD. These will all be installed over Spring Break, in late March. Also, my buddies and I are going to build some sliders, and maybe Herculine the interior.

I've got a set of 52s in the garage that I will slowly rebuild, and start looking for some 56" rear springs, and help out that shackle angle out back. Hopefully by the end of the summer I can do the front 52 swap, x-over steering, and the next set of tires will be something in the 38-40 range. For now though I'm just going to enjoy it! :bowtie:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.