GMC Truck Forum banner

My New Leveled 1500HD on 33's

28K views 62 replies 37 participants last post by  donthaveaclue 
#1 ·
2005 1500HD 4x4, 6.0L, 3.73 gears. I got rid of the old man package and took off the running boards and the moldings. I still need to take off the "1500HD" emblem and the 4x4 stickers.

I cranked the stock torsion keys up about 1.5" and trimmed the fender linings a tad. Wheels are 18x9 Fuel "Boost" with -12 offset. Tires are 285/60/18 (33x11R18) Nitto Terra Grapplers. I also added a billet grille and painted it black, along with the bowtie.

Future plans: Blackbear tune, Magnaflow exhaust, stereo, AMP steps, Tahoe handles, and HIDs.

See less See more
#8 ·
I did not know this....i guess it wouldnt really be cause u got the same frame just different front end pieces and rear end right? Defiently alot better then a 2500 gasser.

Whats your thoughts on painting your lower valance black, would look alot better imo

#9 ·
I did not know this....i guess it wouldnt really be cause u got the same frame just different front end pieces and rear end right? Defiently alot better then a 2500 gasser.

Whats your thoughts on painting your lower valance black, would look alot better imo
Frame is about it. The rear end is the smaller and much lighter 14 SF 9.5 and the 4l80.

#13 ·
Looks good Klemm
Thanks dude :shake:

What kind of gas mileage do you get with the 6.0 and 3.73 combo?
With the puny 245/70/6s I was getting 15.3 highway, 13.7 city at best. With the 33s/18s it dropped down to 12.1 city. I haven't driven much on the highway yet.
I'm not sure if 4.10s would help me much, my RPMs are still pretty high with the 3.73s and I don't really feel a loss of power when I jumped up to the 33s. :shrug:

Looks good!! How you liking the gas mileage?? :crazy:
I hate it! My lifted '03 1/2 ton on 36's got about the same mileage as this one does on 33's. I'm used to my 4.8L regular cab getting 15.5 city/21.5 highway :(

I don't know what helps these 6.0s. I know a Magnaflow and an Airaid Jr. kit won't do much, but I'm hoping a BlackBear tune might give me an extra 1-1.5mpg.

So far, all I've noticed is that the frame is about 2" shorter right under the cab and near the rear bumper. The frame looks to be the same thickness under the front half of the bed and under the front end. It has the smaller/lighter SF 14 bolt out back, but it still has the 6.0, 4L80E, and 8 lugs. I believe payload and towing capacities are a few hundred pounds less than the 2500HD.

I definitely want to paint or get that '06 black plastic front valence.

Frame is about it. The rear end is the smaller and much lighter 14 SF 9.5 and the 4l80.
Word. That's all I've noticed.

very nice lookin truck
Thanks man. :shake:

#21 ·
Sweetotis! May I strongly recommend a black SS grille (if you're not doing 06 conversion)...absolutely loved what mine did for my '03. Having it painted black works too, but was finding a lot of people had problems prepping the chrome-on-plastic to hold onto paint in such a chip-prone area.

Moar: http://catastrophicerror.com/~endo/z71/truck/index.html

#25 ·
Looks great Alden!!!

Did you have any leftover marks from the stock flares? Or moldings? I took my flares off years ago and had faint lines rubbed into the paint from the edge of the stock flares. I'm planning to de-bsm my HD (been talking about it for years), but I'm afraid of the "ghosting" that'll be left.... :think:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.