GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I cleared my headlights last night on my NNBS Sierra. Before doing this I did a lot of research. Like a freakin brain surgeon getting ready for a huge surgery. Lol. In all my research what I never really came across were the problems that people had and mistakes that they made. So here we go:
1.) Tried to get headlight bolts out without taking off the upper part of the bumper. Unless you are freakin Gumby and can twist your arms in some crazy ass positions, don't try it. I got nervous when it didn't come right off so i tried to get the bolts out with it on. That wasn't happening so that further motivated me to try harder and it eventually came off.
2.) I wish I had cut a bit closer to the factory seal on the headlight. I can see some of the silicone I used to seal it up. Not a big deal unless you get real close up.
3.) The reflector popped out with a bit of force. The only problem is that I had one of the middle tabs break off and not want to come out.
I tried to push it through but in my attempt i slipped with the exacto knife and scratched the very very very soft chrome.:flame: I couldn't get the little bugger through and seeing as how it is not that noticeable i decided to leave it alone so as to not run the risk of damaging the chrome more.
4.) I did all of this at night in my garage. The lighting was not good enough. I cleaned the shit out of the lenses both inside and out. Make sure that you use a lint free rag to clean it up. In the daylight I noticed some of the lint the rag left behind. Damn it. Again, not really that noticeable, but could have been prevented. Also use compressed air to blow off all the dust from the cutting wheel (if you use a dremel). As gay as it sounds, latex or nitrile gloves are a good idea so as to prevent pain in the ass fingerprints. You don't want to have to rub on that chrome any more than you have to. Scratches easy as hell.
5.) It has been stated before in the how to write ups on here, but use a small bead of silicone so none gets into the housing. Tape it together and let it dry for a bit. Go over it again with silicone and seal it good. Be sure to smooth it out real nice. Check it good for any spots you might have missed prior to putting it on the truck. I missed a very small spot on one of the corners and that would have sucked as soon as the rain hit it.
6.) Here is a dumb ass one for ya. Plug in your headlight before you screw it back on. LOL.:think:

My only question is do you put a different light in to replace the one that is behind the amber light? I hope this write up didn't make me look like a dumb ass. Also, don't misinterpret this and think the headlights don't look good because they look awesome.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
pics??

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going to clean truck and snap some more shots. Did you see the ones i included in the write up?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
nope...

·
Diego Mafia
2,625 Posts
looks good!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check out the album i created for the project. There are two pictures in there right now. sorry dude.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
looks good.... lol didnt know where to see it at.

·
Zombie Squad
1,244 Posts
You actually motivated me to try it. Can you tell me how you went about using the dremel? What speed and what bit did you use? How long did it take you?

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
Looks good man, I love my cleared headlights though a friend did mine for me :D

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey aftermath. glad to hear you are going to do this. i used my dremel on about half speed. too slow and it would die and too fast no control. first i scored the plastic with the dremel. the plastic actually melts and i found when i tried to just cut all the way through it got loaded up with plastic and i couldn't really see what i was doing. oh ya, as if you couldn't figure this one out. wear safety gogs. that plastic coming off is like fuckin hot wax and burns like a bitch. lol. i also broke about 3 of the small dremel cutting disks and they fly off when broken. i would say it took me 15 to 20 minutes to cut the headlight apart. use a knife of some sort to go around and "pry" the lense off after you think you have it all cut. if you missed a spot you can use the knife to hold it apart while you cut it more in that spot. cleaning up takes some time. an exacto knife and pliers allows you to remove the melted/hardened plastic left over from the cut. easy to clean up, just takes time. i started working on the entire project at 9 pm and was done around 1. taking the whole front end off and clearing the headlights. i reassembled in the morning. 20 minutes to do that. if i can do this anybody can. good luck.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Sweet cant wait to do mine.well try again. I ordered an Electric 3" Cut Off tool from Harbor Freight a few months back and should come off backorder this week lol.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
I've done 4 silverado and 1 GMC. I can tell you the GMC's are tougher. The yellow tabs want to stay in and they're curved a lot more.

Looks like you did a great
job.

I use a Dremel with a reinforced wheel, set on high.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
I've done 4 silverado and 1 GMC. I can tell you the GMC's are tougher. The yellow tabs want to stay in and they're curved a lot more.

Looks like you did a great
job.

I use a Dremel with a reinforced wheel, set on high.
hmmm you are 2 hours from me :D

·
Proud APBT Owner
415 Posts
Anyone had any luck prying open the nnbs sierra headlights? maybe putting them in the oven? Im really trying not to cut them. Just feel like i'll mess them up

1 - 20 of 91 Posts