GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so it wasn't meant to be painted. I took about an hour to wash it with det and hot water. about an hour to sand it with 1500 grit paper and rinse it. Then about another 2 hours to primer and paint it. First of all the lines werent straight. I didn't expect them to be. Then for some reason it looked like the paint was cracking when it was drying. Not really cracking just like wrinkles or something. Anyway, I crapped it,...I'm either gonna smooth it out and get it painted when i get my ss bumper cover painted or buy another stock one.

Got a question too.....does the 99-02 denali bezel fit silvys? If so is it already smooth?
 

·
I don't own a lowrider
Joined
·
4,694 Posts
SITNLO said:
Ok, so it wasn't meant to be painted. I took about an hour to wash it with det and hot water. about an hour to sand it with 1500 grit paper and rinse it. Then about another 2 hours to primer and paint it. First of all the lines werent straight. I didn't expect them to be. Then for some reason it looked like the paint was cracking when it was drying. Not really cracking just like wrinkles or something. Anyway, I crapped it,...I'm either gonna smooth it out and get it painted when i get my ss bumper cover painted or buy another stock one.

Got a question too.....does the 99-02 denali bezel fit silvys? If so is it already smooth?
The stock one can be painted...you just have to smooth it completly out. 1500 grit isn't the way to go about that...you can attack it first with 80 grit to get the majority of the texture roughed off. then go up to 100-200-220-320-400-400 wet- 600 wet - paint clear.

The denali bezel does fit silvy's and comes smooth. It will be ALOT less work. i wish i had gone that route in the first place and still might since it has cleaner lines :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,224 Posts
Y2KSierra said:
The stock one can be painted...you just have to smooth it completly out. 1500 grit isn't the way to go about that...you can attack it first with 80 grit to get the majority of the texture roughed off. then go up to 100-200-220-320-400-400 wet- 600 wet - paint clear.

The denali bezel does fit silvy's and comes smooth. It will be ALOT less work. i wish i had gone that route in the first place and still might since it has cleaner lines :)
That's what I'm going to do. The hell with sanding! :flame:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,253 Posts
Y2KSierra said:
you can attack it first with 80 grit to get the majority of the texture roughed off. then go up to 100-200-220-320-400-400 wet- 600 wet - paint clear.
QUOTE]
Is that what I would do for my window switch panel and the piece that pops out around the stock interior handle?
 

·
I don't own a lowrider
Joined
·
4,694 Posts
Slammedchevy01 said:
Is that what I would do for my window switch panel and the piece that pops out around the stock interior handle?

That is what i did...it came out great too :head:

I spent alot of time on those two pieces making sure i got all of it off and perfectly smooth :)

If you need any hints or anything feel free to PM me or hit me up on aim.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top