GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
GMFS founding member
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've had my '04 1500 ext cab 4x4 for about a week and a half and put 650 miles on it. i think it sucks. it has 8 problems right now:

-blower motor rattles on fan speeds 1 or 2
-driver's door rattles all the time
-dash rattles
-front axle makes wierd noises in 4wd
-static comes from front right speaker when listening to CD
-front right speaker grille is falling off
-electrical power dips and headlights dim at idle when blower fan is on hi
-key is stuck in the ignition and won't turn either way

the key got stuck after i came back from the dealership. i took it to the dealership, they refused to fix all but one of the problems. they claimed they fixed the door rattle, but it still rattles. they claimed to not be able to duplicate any of the other problems. not sure why the speaker grille is falling off, i attribute it to the incredibly poor quality interior. i advised my salesman and his manager i no longer want the truck. if this is the quality GM offers, then i made a mistake buying a GM truck. apparently i can't just give the truck back, so i'm going to another dealership and letting them try to fix the problems. they have two more chances before GM buys this thing back. i hate to come off on such a negative note, but i seriously hate my sierra. the interior is cheap, the radio isn't even usable, and the seats hurt my lower back badly. hopefully i'll be able go give it back soon. i just went $52,000 into debt to get this thing and get rid of my tundra and i'm so disappointed it makes me angry just thinking about it.

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
I'm guessing you didn't pay 52k on that truck, i'm guessing you were upside down pretty bad already with the Tundra....good luck getting them to fix anything, i just do all my own work besides the vent windows that i got replaced....i was tired of the wind noise...

·
eplingphoto.com
550 Posts
-driver's door rattles all the time

Pop the door panel off (2 screws and lift up and out) there are bolts holding the window parts in, take them out and put Loctite on the bolts and tighten them back up.

-dash rattles

Make sure all the bolts are tightened up and if it still rattles you can put some paper around the snaps to make them tighter

-front right speaker grille is falling off

Clear Silicon fixes it everytime

-electrical power dips and headlights dim at idle when blower fan is on hi

Thats pretty much normal on these trucks mine does it when I roll the windows down or when the bass hits.. just something you'll have to live with

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
my parents had the similar problems. They bought a brand new 97 dodge ram. Dash rattled, they claimed to have it fixed (5 times) then the paint started falling off literally and all of this was within a 4 month period. Some trucks just aren't made as good as others my friend used to work at a dealership and they unloaded a brand new escalade and checked everything out. it barely had any anti-freeze in it at all. I'd say just go to another dealer like you said, you paid for that warranty so make them fix it. You can go through something with GM or the government one called arburtration or something like that and you can get a new truck exactly like you have now, just it works.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
well i know they won't cover the stereo... no company would... they just say ur listening to it way too loud. The other problems should be fixable...

Do the front axles only make weird noises when turning? My dad's denali does that, and we took it back to the dealership, and they said it was normal.

but theese problems seem to be things that you should have noticed when you test drove the truck.

Check out ur lumbar support for ur back pain. Its adjustable... I usually leave it all the way down, so it doesn't gut into my back.

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
hey larry, get a 220amp alternator, a second battery, and some caps to fix that power problem...it will go away.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
The 4x4 noise is normal, its from the autotrac. The rattles are a easy fix dont freak out. You sure your wheel wasnt locked when the key was stuck? If so try turning the wheel and pulling it out. Also make sure it was in park.

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
well i got that problem fixed :)

·
GMFS founding member
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2k1slvrdo said:
well i know they won't cover the stereo... no company would... they just say ur listening to it way too loud. The other problems should be fixable...

Check out ur lumbar support for ur back pain. Its adjustable... I usually leave it all the way down, so it doesn't gut into my back.
they're going to have to replace at least the speaker. i can't even listen to the radio it's so bad. i'd throw in a system if i didn't plan on getting rid of this thing as soon as possible.

i don't have lumbar support.

Dark Eternal said:
The 4x4 noise is normal, its from the autotrac. The rattles are a easy fix dont freak out. You sure your wheel wasnt locked when the key was stuck? If so try turning the wheel and pulling it out. Also make sure it was in park.
the ignition switch is broken. i cannot remove the key no matter what, since the ingition switch won't turn past ACC. when i started it, it stuck in the START position, killing the 4wd, heat, and ABS. good thing GM gave me a starter override or it would have fried the starter.

·
GMFS founding member
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whifflebat said:
Sounds to me like you got a lemon. I'd take it back.
i tried, the dealer won't take it back. they insist on trying to fix everything. last time they tried, they fixed 1/7 problems, refused to fix the other 6, and the problem they fixed came back as soon as i drove away. in order for it to be a lemon, i have to have the same problem fixed 3 or more times. i told them they have 2 more tries. i don't have time to waste running back and forth to the dealership, i can't afford downtime.

sorry to bitch so much, i'm just really disappointed with my truck. you'd think a $34k truck would be built better. professional grade my ass.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
yeah, theres something really messed up here. My truck is 10 years old and doesn't have half the problems you describe. I'd demand a different one.

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
Well, first off, that's pretty stupid to judge a company by one (obviously bad) truck. If General Motors builds 1,000,000 trucks, don't you think there's going to be at least 1 with some minor problems? I mean, look at how many of us have no problems with our trucks. Hell, my truck gets majorly abused and it's holding up great.

Overall, these problems are extremely MINOR. Easily fixed. Get them fixed, give the truck a chance, and if it isn't a total lemon you'll really enjoy it.

·
I'm back!
794 Posts
Whifflebat said:
yeah, theres something really messed up here. My truck is 10 years old and doesn't have half the problems you describe. I'd demand a different one.
Mine too, :evillol: Only probelms i got is a very rough idle when i first start the truck, and when I floor the gas all the way sometimes it bogs down but other than that runs just like a heavyweight champion.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yea I think you got a lemon. Cause I have been in every other brand of truck out ther an nothing compaires to a Chevy. Chevy is far from being cheap. They have the most power an speed out of any other trucks. Plus the inside is luxery compaired to the others. Me an all my friends chevys are awsome an I would never settle for something else.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts