GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am slowly trying to build a badass stereo. i bought a panasonic CQ-DFX883U sirius/MP3 headunit:

1059143142526_cq_dfx883u.gif

a panasonic CR-SRT100 sirius tuner:

19_1_b.jpg

and a terk mini sirius antenna. looks like i'll need a dual wire antenna splitter because the tuner has the old-style dual wire input and the antenna has the new-style single wire. this is a tad more complicated than installing my XM roady but it will be worth it because sirius rules. i am going to have the headunit installed at my local shop, but i figure i can install the tuner and get it ready to go. i plan on adding an amp and subs, just gotta find the right amp and box. that will come later. where can i tap into 12v for my tuner? i was planning on putting it under the passenger seat. how should i run the data cable from under the seat to behind the dash? advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Ok my '04 doesn't have RDS, but it wasn't fun either way.

I took about 20 minutes and yanked the deck. Started wiring up my harness and then *tada* no turn on lead. I ended up running a new lead up to the ignition and I was gravy. The only downside is that when you turn off the truck, the deck turns off too. That cool little chevy feature is off.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
I have the stock headunit, it works great for me, and all this stuff about you lose bass as you crank the volume ain't exactly true. If you measured the volume knob as 1-10, the bass doesnt drop off till 9 and 10, 1-8 are fine and my radio will kill your ears at anything over 7 or 8 anyways.

I bought 2 wiring harnesses, one that plugged into the truck harness, and then one that plugged into the back of the radio, which left me with corresponding wires out of the dash and the radio. I then ran all my amp speaker wiring up to the frotn and tied it into the truck wiring to the speakers .. this way I didn't have to hack up my dash and it only cost me about $30.

One day I will get a new head unit, but I think I will wait till I find a good deal on a screen.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
i'd say let an authorized dealer install it because sometimes you will get a longer manf warrenty with a recipet

thats what i did then yanked it out and did it like i wanted

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would personally do it myself. And what would having RDS have anything to do with it?

Just by the proper harness your your sierra find out which wires are which and mate it properly to the harness of the head unit. I prefer to use shrink wrap.

Also, are you going to be using the stock speakers? If not, it should be really easy then. All you will need to wire to the trucks harness is the 12v batt (yellow), 12v acc (red) and ground (black).

Also, is there anyways you can take that HU back? There are a LOT better options out there :read:

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
GMCtrk said:
I would personally do it myself. And what would having RDS have anything to do with it?

Just by the proper harness your your sierra find out which wires are which and mate it properly to the harness of the head unit. I prefer to use shrink wrap.

Also, are you going to be using the stock speakers? If not, it should be really easy then. All you will need to wire to the trucks harness is the 12v batt (yellow), 12v acc (red) and ground (black).

Also, is there anyways you can take that HU back? There are a LOT better options out there :read:

I'm with him on this one.... the rest of you guys are making it alot harder than it is.

and By the way.... I think you already started off on the wrong foot with that receiver. A bad ass stereo shouldn't have a Panasonic Deck running it :imo

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
Chris99GMC said:
A bad ass stereo shouldn't have a Panasonic Deck running it :imo
Ill agree with that

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GMCtrk said:

i cannot get a straight answer as to whether or not you have to keep the stock radio hooked up. the RDS radios have diagnostics or something run through them, half the people i talk to tell me i can lose it, half say i have to keep it. if someone (scott maybe, because scott is the man) could clear this up and link to the proper harnesses i'll gladly install it myself. i'm good with wiring, i just didn't want to fuck with this one because it sounded overly complicated.

Chris99GMC said:
and By the way.... I think you already started off on the wrong foot with that receiver. A bad ass stereo shouldn't have a Panasonic Deck running it :imo
why? JVC and kenwood didn't have anything i liked at this price point, and it had to be one of those three to be sirius compatible. i'd have chosen alpine if XM radio didn't suck. what's so bad about panasonic?

GMCtrk said:
no. what would you recommend?

GMCtrk said:
i have kappas all around but the wiring behind the dash is stock. all i need are harnesses...

·
Registered
343 Posts
You don't have to have XM if you get an Alpine. You can have sirus

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
You could have also looked at Clarion. I'm running one and they are nice peices.

Technically you could have sirius with any deck that has an auxillary input. :read:

·
Registered
343 Posts
hovisimo said:
if you don't have anything constructive to say, please don't litter my install thread.
who's installing this for you? Do you have any experience installing?

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GMCtrk said:
who's installing this for you? Do you have any experience installing?
i will be, provided i can get the correct harness and once and for all clear up the radio removal mystery. i can install damn near anything electronic if i have to.

·
Registered
343 Posts
hovisimo said:
i will be, provided i can get the correct harness and once and for all clear up the radio removal mystery. i can install damn near anything electronic if i have to.

good

:think:

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
Hovis, since gmc cant tell you, I will....
Alpine now offers the ability to use Sirius. I think there was a disagreement between XM and Alpine, so Alpine moved to Sirius :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
00Silverado said:
Hovis, since gmc cant tell you, I will....
Alpine now offers the ability to use Sirius. I think there was a disagreement between XM and Alpine, so Alpine moved to Sirius :D
This is incorrect. You can always use sirus on an Alpine. However, Alpine's are XM ready. And the truth of the matter is, even older Alpines that are not "XM ready" perse will work so long as they have CD text :rocking:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts