GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Tharf is my hero :read:
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TBI 383 Stroker Buildup Thread

Took dam long enough. Been procrastinating this shit for years now but it took that long just to decide on the best way to do it. A couple of you have been asking so im gonna try to keep this thread updated as I go along for us TBI folk.

Ok so the Hoe has a stock 350 that cant even pull my emtpy quad trailer anymore. I wanted to keep the old 350 so I had something as a backup and to put back in the truck should I ever sell her. I contacted Brian over at TBIChips.com and he got me started. I decided to keep the TBi since its quite capable of giving me what I want without changing alot and I can always swap the stocker back in later. Here is the package I have put together. All parts have been ordered and im still waiting for some to get here. Should start the swap in about 2 weeks.

-Crate 383 TBI from Motocrate.com
390HP/456TQ with New World S/R torquer heads
-Edelbrock Performer TBI Intake
-50mm Throttle Body from Xtremefi for 750cfm
-454 Injectors (90lb/hr)
-18 PSI TBI Fuel Pressure Regulator Spring
-MSD Blaster Coil
-Mallory Wires
-FPG001 In-tank Fuel Pump
-5" Tall Air Filter with New Crinkle Finish Lid and Base

Re-using the valve, timing chain and oil pan covers.
The exhaust will be Full Length Ceramic Coated Headers with 3" pipe and single chamber IMCO stainless mufflers. Probably no cats since I dont have to pass the sniffer as of Oct this year.
I re-calibrated my VSS using Dipswitches so my speedo is accurate for the 38" tires and 4:88 gear ratio as well. I highly recommend this to anyone who has oversize tires and different gears. I think it cost me like 5 bucks to buy the dipswitches and I can literally change it depending on what tires are on my truck.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Sounds like fun. Keep us updated with lots of pics.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I re-calibrated my VSS using Dipswitches so my speedo is accurate for the 38" tires and 4:88 gear ratio as well. I highly recommend this to anyone who has oversize tires and different gears. I think it cost me like 5 bucks to buy the dipswitches and I can literally change it depending on what tires are on my truck.
Awesome engine.

How did you use dipswitches for this? Can you please tell me how or post a link? Thank you very much.

·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, thats the link. Shit works the balls.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Darn, it is for the TBI motors only. Thanks though, it is still good to know for future reference for others.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
AH, good heads. Should really run strong.

·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Running whatever cam comes in that crate. Looks like this:

NEW Speed Pro Camshaft & Lifters .420/.443 - 204/214 - 107 specs.
Im no cam expert so I can only wait to see what that does for me.
I have no idea how it will idle as opposed to stock.

I might swap out the regular rockers in favor of some roller style as well. Im not so sure I like the idea of stock ones on a stroker.

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
any ideas on how much you spent?

trucks gonna be a beast

·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well im still waiting for the last of the parts to get here. Ive been keeping track of the whole thing. When its in ill put together a spreadsheet for you guys.

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
cool Im interested to see its gonna tear it up

·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put all truck mods on hold over the winter and just saved money so I could do this in the spring. I also spent a while just reading posts and gathering info. Most of which originated from your TBI thread. So def thanx to you Chris.

I actually might have a coupld questions for you I havent gotten answers on.
With a 50mm throttle body, I would expect im going to have to bring my intake down to the machine shop and have the bores opened up to 50mm as well. Do you concur? Also with regards to the breathers going from the tappet covers to the throttle body. I know the PCV has to stay but can I just throw a filter on the drivers side cover and cap off the port on the throttle body? I thought someone said id be better off keeping it. IM sure ill still be takin in information right up to last minute. If all goes well ill get the gas tank dropped and the new pump in this weekend. Then probably next weekend officiallyt start the removal of the old 350.

~Brad

·
Im walking on sunshine!
5,650 Posts
Port and polish your intake and match for sure, I have a breather on my drivers side and have had no problems so, Just PM me if you need to. :shake:

·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update for today:

-Dropped the intake off at the machine shop so the bore could be opened from 42mm to 50mm.

-Lowered the gas tank to replace fuel pump which became a real pain in the prick. One of the strap bolts had to be cut off and then as the tank came down, it pinched that sissy platic fuel line they use at the bend going up to the pump. I broke the forward and return lines at the fuel filter connection and brought them down with the tank together. Then used the special tool to remove the lines. Looks like im gonna cut off the plastic portion of the lines and get some fuel injection hose in to replace it. I swapped out the old pump with the new one. Then came the fuel pump ring. The thing disintegrated upon human touch. Auto Zone laughed at me so its a dealer part. Today ill go order the lock ring and gasket. Then hopefully I can get that tank back up and make sure everything is kosher there. Ill be driving it around for another week or so before I start pulling the motor out. Im expecting the crate to be here by the end of next week.

·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another Update:

Crate arrived yesterday, I started to put some of the new pieces on. Ill snap a few pics when I get home tonite. I havent started pulling the old one yet. Should start next week. Im hung up on a part I didnt know existed. Apparently there is some vally pan of sosme sort that goes below the intake manifold. The crate didnt come with it and I dont know where to find one. I went to teh dealer with my VIN and even they laughed at me. My mechanic friend told me there is supposed to be a tray in there. Can anyone help me with this. I cant put my intake on until I figure that out.

Also this morning the Jet-Hot headers arrived but apparently Flowtechs definition of full length is actually a shorty. I hate Flowtech. I should have learned the first time around. I called Jet Hot with a Hooker number and asked for the full length Hookers. Im a little pissed that the collector size isnt 3" but ill have to make due since I cant find a full length header for my truck elsewhere.

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
you might run in to some problems with the 454 injectors i did i had to get the holey 5.7TBI for mine

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
good to here that the project is on the ball, if you ever need a hand or anything let me know Im not too far from you.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts