GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a 1988 GMC Sierra regular cab extended bed C1500 5.0L 2 wheel drive/rear wheel drive......... I was on the way home the other day, and in the middle of rush hour traffic, my truck just turned itself off while driving down the road. I came to a stop and attempted to restart the truck. Upon doing so, a loud rotating/grinding noise started so I quickly removed the key but it kept going!!! after about 3 minutes it finally slowed to a stop. The truck was smoking a little from the engine compartment and smelled weird. No lights or power appeared to work. After replacing the battery and starter, which I read could have caused these issues, the truck seemed to be working fine. Well today, as I was driving, the check engine light came on for about 1/2 a second and I felt the truck jerk as if it was about to cut off again. When I reached the stop light it died. I turned it back on immediately and it died again. Did this 3 times in a row. After I reached my destination the truck sat for about an hour. I returned and tried to start it again and the horrible grinding noise started again and continued after i removed the key. We could tell the last starter was shot after removing it. The flywheel inside the starter was grinded itself smooth. I knew that this was probably not caused by this starter as it is 2 days old. Something is causing the truck to shut off while driving and also causing the starter to continue to turn over after the key is removed from the ignition. Any ideas?

:insane2:Thank you in advance. And once again, we have replaced the battery and the starter. Both are less than 2 weeks old.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts