GMC Truck Forum banner

My truck is possessed...

3K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  Wicked Mayhem 
#1 ·
duno if it matters.. truck is dropped 4/7ish with helper bags..

every once in a while, after i get home, ill be in my room, and ill hear a sound like someone hit my bed floor with a hammer.. friday i just got back home, and was layin under the truck checkin out the driveshaft, and it made the noise. scared the shit out of me.

ive heard it 3 times now... any ideas?:hmm:

#4 ·
nope, no marks on anything.

the only thing that resembles that noise that ive heard, is if i have the truck jacked up, and let it down kinda fast, the sleeve bag doesnt collapse right. then when you pump air into it, itll kinda pop when it goes back into shape.. but when that happens it doesnt have the metal sound to it..

#6 ·
Bed is flexing and expanding from heat of the exhaust and when it cools down it retracts quickly, making the noise.

Possibly?

#9 ·
does the tailpipe really get that hot?

i parked the truck at 10:05.. now 10:23 and it just popped or whatever again..

and earlier i backed up, and as i was backing up it made the noise.

but the tailpipe rights nearly right against the bed.. ran it up high to clear rear end. i also have the middle bed floor crossmember cut off....

#11 ·
why not get rid of the spare?

#12 ·
could it be something in the rear end that dissengages after a bit.. ie g80
if its locked up and after you park in the driveway, the truck usually moves a little(either forward or backward), maybe it isn't enough to dissengage it properly, but it is just enough so that it can slip out and cause a pop????:think:

I honestly do not know, my trauck has never done it, but then again it's still new, but thats what i would think if it were not my exhaust:imo

#13 ·
why not get rid of the spare?
because if i get a flat i dont want to have to call someone to bring me a spare, or get towed home because of a flat tire..

could it be something in the rear end that dissengages after a bit.. ie g80
if its locked up and after you park in the driveway, the truck usually moves a little(either forward or backward), maybe it isn't enough to dissengage it properly, but it is just enough so that it can slip out and cause a pop????:think:

I honestly do not know, my trauck has never done it, but then again it's still new, but thats what i would think if it were not my exhaust:imo
i doubt it, cause i always backup into the driveway and the driveway slants down a little, so i put it in park and the truck always rolls forward a lil.

IIRC it did it before i ran the tailpipe though..

and my stupid ass shackles squeek like no other. needa fix that shit too!

#15 ·
just drove 30 minutes(work to home) and then i felt the floor where the pipe is.. definitely warmer than the rest of the bed floor.

then i got in the bed and hopped up and down on the bed floor, its all solid... looked under the truck, cant see anything that would make it make the noise..

#16 ·
the bed will def be hotter where the tail pipe is at but I dont think that it would make the metal expand alot to make it pop. Sit out there one day with a buddy a case of beer and watch unless somebody chimes in who has had the problem before it seems like it wouldnt take that long for it to pop but you said it only does it every now and then right

#23 ·
Drive shaft slipping on the output shaft of the transmission? Could get into a bind then release.
hmm.. dunno. i know its not out to far.

do you have the stock muffler on it?I have had a few come in the shop that the stock muffler would pop like that after cooling down some...
nope, has a flowsound. good info though, thanks!

Trucks telling you it wants to be lower possibly?
i lowered the front some more.. shorter tires:crazy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.