GMC Truck Forum banner

1521 - 1540 of 1551 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,521 ·
Any of you live in Florida by speed world drag strip?
I am thinking of going to check it out while I am here, wouldnt mind meeting up with people on the forum.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,522 ·
I am just waiting for the weather to melt the snow so I can get the truck out and get the tune all set again after getting the Injectors cleaned and flowed.
I got a special invite for the beginning of may at a new local track opening up. It's a old air strip so they want a bunch of us to lay some rubber down, I'm fine with that as I will be able to make nitrous hits which I will then use as a baseline for my street tunes.
I did however take the truck for a little drive last weekend to the car wash to get all the dust off of it. First thing I have to do when it gets nice is get an alignment, it's horrible.
Lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,523 ·
I have around 350k on the truck so far, just been taking it on errands and taking it easy.
I had to raise the front end back up, it was way to soft up front.
Also extending the exhaust made the truck super loud right at the speed that I drive the most, I think I am going to try putting new resonators in, the ones on the truck now are probably 6-7 years old.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,524 ·
I havent updated in awhile.
I put new vibrant stainless bottle style resonators in, my bullets where falling apart inside. It toned the sound down abit but not enough. So I extended the exhaust to just before the rear bumper. The sound is just right now but it honestly looks stupid. I am going to paint it black and see if it kind of hides it abit, if not I will re route it so it goes between the box and the frame to hide it. I dont want to put alot of time or money into it because it will all be getting changed when I lower the truck.
I will get some pics.
I have however been driving the truck ALOT and just enjoying it. I still have to get an alignment which I am hoping I can get done next Wednesday.
We have a long weekend coming up so I am really going to try and get some nitrous hits in to get the tune dialed in incase anyone wants to line up in Mexico.
With the tracks being closed down I havent been in a rush to make any nitrous hits but I really should get it dialed in soon.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,525 ·
I went to the track a couple weeks ago to help lay rubber down, I didnt even open the bottles because it was more slick then the street. Lol
I ran my 29.5 drag radials because its 1/8 mile. I had alot of fun.
After that I went out cruising with a bunch of buddies.
I didnt even bring my slicks or drag radials because I knew the cops would be insane. I did sneak a couple runs in against a friends 80mm turbo ecsb truck and layed a good beating on him from a roll with me on motor.
It has been so nice out here the past couple weeks that I have been dailying the truck.
The wife wanted a sub in her Tahoe so I put my old 12" sub and 500w amp in it, so I bought myself a new 12" kenwood along with a 650w amp, I have a new box coming for it. I also put new pioneer front door speakers in both vehicles. We both have bose and they defanitly didnt sound like they used to.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,526 ·
It still gets used as a truck

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,527 ·
Last weekend we had a local cash days, I decided to enter the real street class. I full on knew I wouldnt make it past first round as alot of my buddies entered that class and they have some quick cars.
I had mainly only tested with the 150 jets on the street this summer, I knew I would need more then that to even come close to anyone so I put the 200 jets in. We only got 1 test pass before elimination and no data on the 200s I decided to get up early and make some test hits on the way to the track. I got it where I felt I could make a pass.
First pass i came out at 30% over 1 second, it dead hooked and everyone said I pulled the front tires but the camera that video tapes got blown over from the wind and the camera girl took the pic before the nitrous kicked in. I did a 1.66 60' (personal best) and it was on one hell of a pass until it wouldnt shift into 3rd. Ended up running a 7.43 in the 1/8th and because it didnt shift it only went 81mph.
I checked the data from the pass and noticed that because of the growth of the slicks it totally made my shift mph all out of whack, it shifted into 2nd at 6600rpm, alot lower then what I wanted but I didnt want to make any crazy changes before a elimination race so i bumped up the 2-3 shift mph abit. I added 1 degree of timing and that was it.
It came out hard with a 1.65 60' and ran a 7.50 at 90mph and I lost by a bumper to a 69 impala with a lsx454 that runs 11.2s in the 1/4.
After checking the data because of the low rpm shifts it was pulling 4* of timing right after each shift which also made it run fat.
All in all I got some data, learned a couple things and I am very positive once I get the shift rpm up, put the bigger jets in and stop being scared of adding more nitrous out of the hole with the progressive I can get a low 11 in the 1/4, not sure if it will hit a 10 but I will try.
I should add that we had a 75-80km/h head wind which is really bad for this big brick.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Last weekend we had a local cash days, I decided to enter the real street class. I full on knew I wouldnt make it past first round as alot of my buddies entered that class and they have some quick cars.
I had mainly only tested with the 150 jets on the street this summer, I knew I would need more then that to even come close to anyone so I put the 200 jets in. We only got 1 test pass before elimination and no data on the 200s I decided to get up early and make some test hits on the way to the track. I got it where I felt I could make a pass.
First pass i came out at 30% over 1 second, it dead hooked and everyone said I pulled the front tires but the camera that video tapes got blown over from the wind and the camera girl took the pic before the nitrous kicked in. I did a 1.66 60' (personal best) and it was on one hell of a pass until it wouldnt shift into 3rd. Ended up running a 7.43 in the 1/8th and because it didnt shift it only went 81mph.
I checked the data from the pass and noticed that because of the growth of the slicks it totally made my shift mph all out of whack, it shifted into 2nd at 6600rpm, alot lower then what I wanted but I didnt want to make any crazy changes before a elimination race so i bumped up the 2-3 shift mph abit. I added 1 degree of timing and that was it.
It came out hard with a 1.65 60' and ran a 7.50 at 90mph and I lost by a bumper to a 69 impala with a lsx454 that runs 11.2s in the 1/4.
After checking the data because of the low rpm shifts it was pulling 4* of timing right after each shift which also made it run fat.
All in all I got some data, learned a couple things and I am very positive once I get the shift rpm up, put the bigger jets in and stop being scared of adding more nitrous out of the hole with the progressive I can get a low 11 in the 1/4, not sure if it will hit a 10 but I will try.
I should add that we had a 75-80km/h head wind which is really bad for this big brick.

Awesome thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,529 ·
Normally I would have the truck tucked away in the warm garage for the winter already, but we have some warmer weather coming so I have still be driving the truck.
I have almost 11k on it this summer and it has ran great.
I have been ordering parts to freshen the motor.
pistons, bearings, some new gaskets, timing chain etc... are on the way.
A bunch of us street guys had a king of the streets a couple weeks ago, obviously alot of them are out of my league but I did get a couple runs in. With the cold street and 200 jets I couldn't turn the progressive down enough and even pulling a ton of timing I still had trouble putting the power down with the slicks.
Soooo I am really hoping the wife will let me add a second kit this winter. I will go with the nitrous outlet hi ram plate that goes between the upper and lower plenum.
I will run my front plate with a smaller shot and then use the other kit for a bigger shot once I get traction.
That will mean that I will start putting more nitrous through it. I will go 300+ between the 2 kits.
I will update as some parts start showing up.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,530 ·
Nothing to really update about.
Still haven't pulled the motor, with tracks being closed I am in no rush to.
Got the injectors cleaned and just been driving it.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,532 ·
Long time man!! Good to hear from you.
Thanks man.
I finished the basement on the house this winter, 120" screen, nice sound system, gym etc... so I don't even want to work in the garage anymore. Lol
With the tracks being closed, Cops being dicks I really have no ambition to pull the motor. If the tracks do open then I will schedule it with my engine guy, I pull it Friday, bring it to him Saturday, clean up the engine bay during the week and then grab it Friday, have it running Saturday and then a real quick break in.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks man.
I finished the basement on the house this winter, 120" screen, nice sound system, gym etc... so I don't even want to work in the garage anymore. Lol
With the tracks being closed, Cops being dicks I really have no ambition to pull the motor. If the tracks do open then I will schedule it with my engine guy, I pull it Friday, bring it to him Saturday, clean up the engine bay during the week and then grab it Friday, have it running Saturday and then a real quick break in.

Would be nice if the clowns “governing”, would allow life to continue on.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,534 ·
Would be nice if the clowns “governing”, would allow life to continue on.
I hear ya.
Our new local track actually just posted the dates and looks like it will be a go this summer.
Soooo I am gonna start pulling the motor today and hopefully drop it off either tomorrow or Friday.
My engine guy hurt himself so he is not working the hours he normally does, so it might take 2 weeks or so as long as we don't find anything major wrong with it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I hear ya.
Our new local track actually just posted the dates and looks like it will be a go this summer.
Soooo I am gonna start pulling the motor today and hopefully drop it off either tomorrow or Friday.
My engine guy hurt himself so he is not working the hours he normally does, so it might take 2 weeks or so as long as we don't find anything major wrong with it.

Glad to hear there’s at least a light at the end of the tunnel. Looking forward to updates!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,536 ·
Motor is out and at the machine shop.
I figured while the truck will be motor less for abit that it would be a good time to take all the ugly plastic wire loom off and replace it with some nicer loom.
I also ordered new heat sleeves for my fuel and trans lines. I had some cheap stuff on before that was pretty much shot. I got some that handle alot more heat so they should work alot better and last longer.
20210527_092752.jpg
20210529_145346.jpg

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,537 ·
For anyone thinking of doing a 408 in a stock block this is after about 22k.
I run it hard and fully knew what I was getting myself into when I built it.
If you are not prepared to put pistons in it frequently then don't put a 4" stroke in it.
My engine builder said I had the tune on point tho, everything else looked great but as usual I am just gonna put new bearings etc.... while it's apart.
I ran out of wire loom but I have alot of it on, I grabbed more today and once the motor is back in I will tessa tape all the wires into place.
I am really really hoping I can grab the motor at the end of the week and get it back running this weekend to start breaking it in.
I am hoping all the garbage restrictions get lifted here soon so I can get to the track.
IMG_20210605_115848_011.jpg
20210606_181327.jpg

·
Registered
401 Posts
For anyone thinking of doing a 408 in a stock block this is after about 22k.
I run it hard and fully knew what I was getting myself into when I built it.
If you are not prepared to put pistons in it frequently then don't put a 4" stroke in it.
My engine builder said I had the tune on point tho, everything else looked great but as usual I am just gonna put new bearings etc.... while it's apart.
I ran out of wire loom but I have alot of it on, I grabbed more today and once the motor is back in I will tessa tape all the wires into place.
I am really really hoping I can grab the motor at the end of the week and get it back running this weekend to start breaking it in.
I am hoping all the garbage restrictions get lifted here soon so I can get to the track. View attachment 874325 View attachment 874326

Damn. Ouch! I don’t understand the deal with the 408.. why is that bore / stroke more prone to damage..? Looks better with the new loom.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,539 ·
Damn. Ouch! I don’t understand the deal with the 408.. why is that bore / stroke more prone to damage..? Looks better with the new loom.
The stroke makes the bottom of the piston pull out of the bottom of the bore more, it rocks abit while it comes up and wears it out.
Something I full on knew when building it but this big ole girl needs cubes to make it move.
The cops out here have been on a terror about straight through mufflers, I run magnaflows which are straight through so I ordered up some Flowmaster big block mufflers, I absolutely hate Flowmaster as they don't last long and eat up some HP but I needed a chambered muffler.
I am gonna keep my magnaflows for when I run at the track.
They are the exact same overall length so should be a easy swap in and out.
Screenshot_20210609-070739_Samsung Internet.jpg

·
Some dude on the internet
872 Posts
I have a single in, dual out 70 series on my 6.0, and it sounds great. It rattles like coffee can full of washers after only 2 years, which I'm pissed about, but otherwise sounds good.

1521 - 1540 of 1551 Posts