GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 95 z71...right now its got 10" of lift with 38.5 tsl sx's...got a dana 60 and 14 bolt waiting to be put on, just have to get around to it...

and a few of it clean

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Very nice. Glad to see someone else doing a SFA swap and really getting their rig dirty! If you havnt added up the costs to do it yet though, trust me its ALOT (Im at work now trying to earn money to finish mine!) Hope you enjoy it here at GMFS and check out our offroad section.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dark Eternal said:
Very nice. Glad to see someone else doing a SFA swap and really getting their rig dirty! If you havnt added up the costs to do it yet though, trust me its ALOT (Im at work now trying to earn money to finish mine!) Hope you enjoy it here at GMFS and check out our offroad section.

OH trust me I Know...lol...Ive got the 60 sitting in my garage and the 14 bolt on the way...but it kind of got put on hold cause i need a new tranny...

·
6,656 Posts
You already rebuild the d60 or does it need it? Thats one thing that adds up real fast, all new bearings, seals and kingpins are almost $300 alone. Not to mention gears, brakes, new shafts if you need them.... Ehh dont even want to think about it! All I have left to buy for my d60 are new calipers and rotors.

Also are you going to put disk brakes on the 14 bolt?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dark Eternal said:
You already rebuild the d60 or does it need it?

Also are you going to put disk brakes on the 14 bolt?
The 60 needs it bad because i pulled it out of an old 79 ford junker for $200...Im debating on wheter to just sell it and just get one already built and save the time (even though its gonna cost a ton) and disk brakes will be a future project...i just want to get the axels on and get the 4wd working and then go from there

·
6,656 Posts
Thats a damn good deal on the 79 HP60 though, most of the time they are 1000+ for one that still needs rebuilding, I payed 1000 for mine. You got very very lucky!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dark Eternal said:
Thats a damn good deal on the 79 HP60 though, most of the time they are 1000+ for one that still needs rebuilding, I payed 1000 for mine. You got very very lucky!
yeah, thats the cool thing about where i live (kind of out in the sticks) if you look long enough, you can find old rusted out pickups just sittin in peoples yards...and if you ask enough of 'em eventually you can score an axle or two...lol...but when i say rusted, that does not even begin to describe it...i forsee many hours of sanding and grinding ahead of me :insane:

9,777 Posts
Man that truck is awesome man. What suspension kit are you running? When you put in the SFA I would be very interested in taking the lift off of your hands. Let me know what you think man and what kit it is. Also have you had any problems or broken parts with that big of a lift and tires on your truck?

·
6,656 Posts
Yeah I know how that is. Ive spent many many hours on mine.

Here is my 14 bolt.

Before:

After:

The dana 60 is still in the process, ill finish up cleaning it this weekend when I get the tool to removed the kingpins.

Before:

Now:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DirtyBlackZ71 said:
Man that truck is awesome man. What suspension kit are you running? When you put in the SFA I would be very interested in taking the lift off of your hands. Let me know what you think man and what kit it is. Also have you had any problems or broken parts with that big of a lift and tires on your truck?

thanks...its a pro-comp lift with trail master stabilizers...i sure would be willing to get rid of the kit once i get the sfa installed...as far as broken parts, the main thing is the tranny burning up so i think im gonna go with some different gears when i swap out the axles (4.56 now)...also, i try and avoid using the 4wd unless im in a real harry situation because i know the ifs cant really handle the pressure those tires put on it...when i got the truck i didnt know much about offroading except big tires and big lifts so i thought this was a hardcore machine...i have since learned that right now ive pretty much got a street queen but i still give the truck credit, its gotten through some pretty serious holes even when i just use 2wd

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dark Eternal said:
Yeah I know how that is. Ive spent many many hours on mine.
damn you did a good ass job on the 14 bolt...if you get bored you can come and do mine next...lol...but what did you use to paint that with?

·
6,656 Posts
haha, eventually ill be opening a shop so ill be doing this all day (literally). I used por15 (www.por15.com) Its a little bit expensive but well worth it, its tough as nails from what I can tell and other peoples reviews. You can click on the SFA link in my sig and read pages on what im doing if your ever that bored, I update it pretty often with my progress (its due for an update soon, probably add to it this weekend) and also I have an "Update on my SFA" thread in teh offroad area I post in every day with progress.

9,777 Posts
pbmang said:
thanks...its a pro-comp lift with trail master stabilizers...i sure would be willing to get rid of the kit once i get the sfa installed...as far as broken parts, the main thing is the tranny burning up so i think im gonna go with some different gears when i swap out the axles (4.56 now)...also, i try and avoid using the 4wd unless im in a real harry situation because i know the ifs cant really handle the pressure those tires put on it...when i got the truck i didnt know much about offroading except big tires and big lifts so i thought this was a hardcore machine...i have since learned that right now ive pretty much got a street queen but i still give the truck credit, its gotten through some pretty serious holes even when i just use 2wd
Awesome man. Any problems out of the actual lift itself? Do you rub at all? Your tranny is burning up with 4.56 gears running front and rear? I would figure it would run just fine with that gear ratio and such. What type mileage are you getting and how long before you will be ready to ditch that suspension lift?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DirtyBlackZ71 said:
Awesome man. Any problems out of the actual lift itself? Do you rub at all? Your tranny is burning up with 4.56 gears running front and rear? I would figure it would run just fine with that gear ratio and such. What type mileage are you getting and how long before you will be ready to ditch that suspension lift?
nope, no rub at all, but i did have to do a little trimming of the bumper in the front...

the tranny was pretty much due to burn up i think because its the stock one and its got almost 116K miles on it...

i figure if the truck is clean then i get about 10-12 miles a gallon and if its loaded up with mud, maybe around 7-9 miles a gallon...needless to say these are just guesses because its not my DD, just a project and weekend toy

as far as ditching the lift, its probably gonna be a while cause i want to get a beast tranny and then its will be time to start working on axles, so it will be a while until they are actually up under the truck...lol :bawl:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dark Eternal said:
haha, eventually ill be opening a shop so ill be doing this all day (literally). I used por15 (www.por15.com) Its a little bit expensive but well worth it, its tough as nails from what I can tell and other peoples reviews. You can click on the SFA link in my sig and read pages on what im doing if your ever that bored, I update it pretty often with my progress (its due for an update soon, probably add to it this weekend) and also I have an "Update on my SFA" thread in teh offroad area I post in every day with progress.

sweet man, i have a feeling i'll be talking to you quite a bit over the next few months...lol...and i already had your website bookmarked a reference :head:

·
6,656 Posts
Feel free to ask anything ya want, hopefully I can help you out, if not chances are someone here can. There are alot of very knowledgable people on this site.

9,777 Posts
pbmang said:
nope, no rub at all, but i did have to do a little trimming of the bumper in the front...

the tranny was pretty much due to burn up i think because its the stock one and its got almost 116K miles on it...

i figure if the truck is clean then i get about 10-12 miles a gallon and if its loaded up with mud, maybe around 7-9 miles a gallon...needless to say these are just guesses because its not my DD, just a project and weekend toy

as far as ditching the lift, its probably gonna be a while cause i want to get a beast tranny and then its will be time to start working on axles, so it will be a while until they are actually up under the truck...lol :bawl:
Good deal man. just keep me posted and let me know.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol...i just noticed you were in thomasville ga...well im in Lawrenceville GA (about 30 min outside of ATL)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts