GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully you guys can help me out . I have a '96 S-10 5 spd with the original clutch. The noise started while I was driving home ( a clanking noise) on the freeway from work. The noise gradually got worse as I drove home and got to a certain point and then never got worse but never went away. I never went above 65mph. I came to a stop a couple times and it never felt like the clutch was slipping when I started moving, it didn't smell hot, The noise is in every gear except 4th. There is a vibration that I can feel throught stick, that's how I first noticed the noise. When not in gear and clutch not pressed in the noise is not present. Any suggestions will help. I need to unload this off my hands but I need to ge this fixed ASAP. Someone suggested that I try to bleed the clutch. Is this a plausible thing to try?? Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Sounds like something in the tranny, of which is entirely out of my domain. You could try bleeding the clutch, but I don't think it will help. Short of leaky hoses etc, hydraulic systems don't randomly need to be bled.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does ANYBODY have any ideas

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
Could be the throw out bearing. It only happens with the clutch in and while driving?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this something that is cheap and easy to fix?? Is this something that comes loose that I can tighten with some hand tools??

·
Registered
36 Posts
You have to drop the tranny to get at the throw out bearing. Just swap it for a new one. That does sound like the problem though. Should be fairly cheap <$ 50 if you do it yourself. Been a while since I had to buy one though??

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
The tranny has to come out. But since it's out might as well check out the clutch plate, flywheel, and pilot shaft bushing. It's just one of those things when you find hidden surprises. Yes it can be done with hand tools. Let us know on how you make out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE......I drove the truck today and I, on purpose, popped the clutch just to see how strong it was and it chirped the tires. I had to park it next to my drive way and had to go over the curb. The clutch never slipped. I did nptice that when in neutral and engine running I could hear the noise while I was standing about 10 FT from the truck. Could this be the throw out bearing or something else??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts