GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing alot about navigation systems lately and I know what they are but what exactly will one do for me???? Will it tell me what street I'm on, where to turn, what's up with these things?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, they will do a ton for you. Directions to a specific address. Points of Interest (if you're looking for a place to eat), alternate routes if a road is closed and a map of the US on demand.
I actually used the Emergency feature last week on mine and it gave me the Lat & Long of my location. Gave it to 911 and totally helped.
It also offers a lot more features for the radio, CD and satellite radio.

We're actually working on a Factory Navigation Upgrade kit to be released next month for 2003-up Bose equipped vehicles. Should be pretty fun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey how do i get the factory navigation system to work in my 04 siverado the dealership says the computer is not intergrated in my truck its only in the tahoes and denalis can someone help me out on this i would like to have factory navigation

·
has driven a Ford lately.
2,478 Posts
swtnlw2005 said:
hey how do i get the factory navigation system to work in my 04 siverado the dealership says the computer is not intergrated in my truck its only in the tahoes and denalis can someone help me out on this i would like to have factory navigation
Your dealer is full of shit. :D I have a 2005 factory touchscreen navigation radio in my 2004 Sierra. You need to buy the following:

- Touchscreen navigation radio unit (the 'non-luxury' model, intended for Tahoe/Yukon)
- GPS antenna

(If you do have a 'luxury' model nav unit, you need a 'luxury' Y91 Bose amp as well from a Denali/Escalade)

The GPS antenna installation is the hardest thing to do, as it requires pulling the top dash panel....which requires pulling out the A-pillar covers, passenger-side dash grab handle, radio, climate control, dash bezel, passenger A/C vents, and instrument cluster.

Second hardest task is that you have to splice into a wire going into the instrument cluster to give VSS (vehicle speed sensor) data to the nav unit.

If the navigation unit was previously used in another truck, it will need to be programmed by the dealer (to disable the previous theftlock mating with the other truck).

Total install time = 3-4hr if you're lazy. Highly recommend getting a 6-disc changer as well.

Total cost can range from $1200-$2000 depending on where you get your parts.

This thread is the authority on this mod (I think this guy was the 1st to do it):
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28030

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 2005 Nav radio from a guy that pulled it off his Escalade and it works great on my 2003 Denali. My bad luck was on Jan. 2 my truck was stolen. fortunately, they left the radio but took the nav disks. Does anyone have 2005 nav disks? Please let me know.

·
Dem People
5,664 Posts
I would just go with the Pinoeer AVIC N2. It has navigation and plays dvds, cds etc... That would be better than the stock navi IMO. It runs about $1200.

·
LIKE WHOA!!!
584 Posts
factory nav is nice, but you may want to look into some aftermarket options. you may get more for your money, and the companies made their product more for the audio/truck enthusiast rather than the 60 yr old grandpa. the pioneer nav is pretty popular, and alpine is another great company. you can even type in the phone number to a business, and it will give you the address and take you there. also you can get NAV Traffic which is a satellite service that will tell you where there is bad traffic congestions. keep in mind, this is only available in larger metropolitan areas.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The pioneer nav systems are nice, and the older models should begin coming down in price soon with the new models coming out. You can also bypass the safety features esier than with the factory models if you wanted to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts