GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Keo-what?!?
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know, this is way out of date, who has an -03 anyways?

Well, my working with kids no having money butt sure does lol

As I am sure (from reading countless posts) most everyone else has noticed, these trucks rattle. And a great deal of that is from the dash.
I've had this truck for 13 months now, and I couldn't stand the rattle anymore.

2015-03-08%2014.57.01_zpsko86ewtf.gif

2015-03-08%2014.56.42_zpszp4bkkuy.gif

I got to digging around, I'm little bit, somewhat a pack rat, not a "hoarders" case by any means, but I have a couple of cabinets that I keep spare stuff in, I was raised figuring out how to use something for other than its intended purpose, stretch the dollars ya know?

So I raid a cabinet, find the other of a 2 pack of these draft things, the brown felt looking thing and you stick those styrofoam tubes in there, slide it under the door. Well, I went and yanked the face off the dash to see what I had to work with space-wise, because I was originally planning on rolling up a towel to see how it worked, and realized it was going to be WAY too big to push back in there without removing the dash lid itself.

2015-03-08%2014.56.13_zps54e6zqxw.gif

I have a floor shift 4x4, so I just have this worthless spot here, nothing sits there, it falls out. I'd rather have a button, the thing is electronically controlled anyway.... I digress, So I pulled that out, also, I decided it would behoove me to remove my instrument cluster. Well that was a bit harder than every other vehicle I've ever owned... pay attention to how you pull and spin that out, top out last, and in first. You're welcome lol I thought I'd gone whacko, could not get that thing back in.. but anyways, that is all I removed to do this. Real quick, simple operation. 7mm socket, an extension, and a pair of scissors is all that is required.

2015-03-08%2014.53.52_zps2cxb6ym3.gif

I just stuck a hole tube through the hole until it hit the end, then reached around through the cluster's hole, and pushed back into the A pillar/dash edge a bit, didn't get carried away, want a wedge, but not enough pressure to break the dash lid.

2015-03-08%2014.53.28_zpspcoblgb3.gif

Mine was loose enough that its making this corner pop up, which would suck if I cleaned it using paper towels I suppose. But, I can't see it while driving, so I don't care. I'd much rather not hear that dammed rattle!!

2015-03-08%2014.54.38_zpsnvwpxbua.gif

This is from above the cluster, I didn't remove it after my test drive to take pics. I didn't take pics while doing it because I forgot all about it. Anyway, that is the tube laying flat up against what I believe is the bottom of the windshield, to the front of the truck side of the defroster vent. There is a clip in the way to have 1 long tube, so i cut it and layed the halves on either side of it, picture below shows where everything is sitting in relation.

2015-03-08%2014.54.22_zpsvddzbmvh.gif

2015-03-08%2014.54.03_zps54ynamcy.gif

Those are only insurance, and yes, this did make the dash raise, maybe 1/4". It's not noticeable unless you specifically look for it, and it is on the side of the dash that is "high" anyway, with the raised section for the cluster..

FoamLocations_zps7ayrscjq.gif

that's where everything is laid. this took me all of 15 minutes, and that was with a test drive. the truck is SILENT now. This being quiet may result in me keeping this truck, I've been looking around online with the intentions of trading it in. Now that it's quiet, I can't believe how much noise it was actually making!

I know these trucks are out of date, but I know theres still a ton of them out there, and I'm guessing I am not the only one wanting an easy cheap fix for this annoying problem, that never should have been a problem to begin with.

·
Registered
44 Posts
good stuff! I have some rattles in my truck in the winter but it is quite silent in the summer.

As a side note, your transfer case is manually activated with floor shift, its just the front diff that is electronically engaged.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
glad you got to it. I'm guessing the previous owner took the dash off and broke the clips making it rattle. I like NBS trucks and currently own two, and have traded in two in the past. None of my dashes have ever rattled. :)

Mr. 960

·
Keo-what?!?
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MGM-why are they partially electronic? Well, nevermind LOL I probably won't understand the answer, all I knew for sure was I'd pulled it down and still had to turn the key to get the fronts to lock in gear when we changed the front bearing hahaha, so I made that assume mistake!!!

960- I read quite a few threads of them rattling, most saying it was the NNBS trucks, but there were several that weren't specific, I (oh man, not again) assumed the issue went from the NBS to the NNBS trucks. I'm just glad my rattle trap is gone!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
MGM-why are they partially electronic? Well, nevermind LOL I probably won't understand the answer, all I knew for sure was I'd pulled it down and still had to turn the key to get the fronts to lock in gear when we changed the front bearing hahaha, so I made that assume mistake!!!
Well I will try to answer it as simply as possible. The front differential has an electric actuator on it that connects the front half shafts to the front driveshaft. This is actuated when you put the truck into 4x4 with the floor shifter. The floor shifter actuates the transfer case with a direct mechanical linkage to the shift shaft. This shaft is what the electric shift motor turns when you have the button shift.

So in short, the transfer case is manual, but the front diff engaging (to actually get 4x4) is electronic.

·
Keo-what?!?
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I just don't understand why if part of it's electronic, all of it wouldn't be. I'm sure they have a couple reasons

Then again, this coming from a guy who stuffed foam tubes into his dash this afternoon lol
I do wish I had the mind of an engineer, would make a lot more money i think :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks, I just don't understand why if part of it's electronic, all of it wouldn't be. I'm sure they have a couple reasons

Then again, this coming from a guy who stuffed foam tubes into his dash this afternoon lol
I do wish I had the mind of an engineer, would make a lot more money i think :D
I agree with you. The manual transfer case allows the truck to be little cheaper on the lower trim levels. There isn't a TCCM and the encoder motor on the transfer case also isn't needed. Some guys like having the manual stick on the floor also even if the front engages electronically.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts