GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kyle did one for the OBS trucks, so the way I see it... we'll link his to this and vice versa so the info will be easier to find. Who wants to do this for the board?

It's getting a bit tiring with n00blets thinking this swap is warranted in their RCSB making 275rwhp and/or people asking the same things regarding the fittings, cooler lines, spacers, cross members, stalls, etc, etc.

Some needs to outline the differences (hell I can do this) between the POS 60E and the 80E (just basic specs), what driveline parts need to be modified between 2x4 and 4x4s, what you can skip temporarily (i.e. stock stall is ~2500rpm in the 80E), etc, etc.

Here also lies the AutoTrac 32T input shaft conversion post I made YEARS ago - http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9172

·
In Denial
280 Posts
While I'm VERY happy with my 80-e, I would agree that it's not the right swap for everyone. I planned on making serious power with my truck, so I knew it was the right choice for me. I think it has some major drawbacks that should seriously be considered if you're thinking about an 80-e:

* It takes extra power to turn the larger internals.
* The 80-e weighs quite a bit more than the 60-e. I've heard 100lbs.
* 1st and 2nd gears have a much lower (numerically) gear ratio, which can hurt low end performance. You can get a higher (numerically) gearset, but it's pricey and requires going into the transmission.
* Finding a file with the correct SEG1 ID. I know most people don't have trouble with this part, but I had to contact 5-6 different shops to get the correct file for my truck. It was a headache.
* While there are converters out there for the 80-e, the selection isn't as good as for the 60-e.
* Everything costs more for the 80-e--shift kit, converter, etc.
* The overdrive isn't as steep as the 60-e, so you'll turn more RPM in 4th. Which really bites considering you generally have to get a higher (numberically) rear gear to compensate for the lower (numerically) 1-2 gears.

The advantages to me are:

* Much stronger, even in stock form
* The closer ratio's of 1st and 2nd mean for less drop in RPM between the 1-2 shift as opposed to the 60-e.

It's early on Monday morning, I'm sure I'm missing stuff on both sides. Don't know if this is really what you were going for Eric, but that's my take on it. There are times when I wish I had that 3.06 first gear back, but overall I think I made the right choice.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
I weighed an 80e with t-case adapter and tq conv. vs. a 60e with the same parts and the difference was 60lbs.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good info for sure.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Copied from earlier thread.

For the extra speed sensor on the 4L80E:

I just checked out an 03 2500 with the 4l80e and on connector c1(blue) 38 and 39 are for LIFT/DIVE SIG and RLY CNTRL respectively. Pin slots 22 and 23 are for something else on connector c1(blue) as well. Now on connector c2(red) slots 22 and 23 are for AT ISS HIGH SIG and AT ISS LOW SIG respectively. Also these wires are RED(1230) and DRK BLUE(1231) respectively. Slots 38 and 39 on c2(red) are unused on a 2500 truck with 4l80e.

Complete trans wiring for the 4l60e and notice at the very bottom of that dashed line box on the left is says C2 and also notice that in this picture slots 22 and 23 are not listed. It just goes from 21 to 24. That means the slots probably not being used in a 4l60e truck. Now take a look at the next picture and notice that it also says C2 at the bottom of that box and see how 22 and 23 are used in this picture for the extra speed sensor the 4l80e has. Take your wires from this extra speed sensor and pin them in the 22 and 23 slots of connector c2(red).

Edit: I just checked the engine wiring harness layout. A stock 4l60e truck has no pins in slots 22 and 23 of connector c2(red). It does however have an ign feed wire in slot 39.

A-TCircuit4L60E.jpg

A-TCircuit4L80E.jpg

A-TCircuit4L60Ecropped.jpg

A-TCircuit4L80E-cropped.jpg

·
I miss you little guy
1,546 Posts
hitman=teh noobsauce

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8