GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the last day or so my hub went from making the usual sounds while going bad to making this horrible metal grinding sound. I replaced the passenger side about a year ago and am kicking myself for not going ahead and swapping both then. I got out and yanked the wheel off yesterday just to verify something else wasn't bad as well. While I was scoping it out I had to really jog my memory and search to remember exactly how this was done.

I don't remember the nut size on the front of the hub underneath the cover but I have found a couple posts that say it is a 36mm.

I messed with the green cover you pull to get to the 36mm nut and can't remember if it pops off or screws off. I don't want to destroy it so does anyone remember?

Also, did you guys replace the 36mm nut? IIRC I left the stock one on the other side with no problems for about 20k miles. I saw where some people were saying to replace it.

Any help is appreciated, I'm by no means a mechanic so GMFS is a lifesaver.

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
i think it is a 36mm... take that nut out then undo the 3 15mm bolts on the back side of the spindle and dont forget to under the abs sensor wire (most hubs come with a new wire). its pretty simple...

and the dust cap just pops off with a flathead screwdriver or somthing like that

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. That was super fast. I got out there tonight and took a crack at it but I couldn't get it to come out of the seat with the tools I had on hand. I was making a shit ton of noise beating it out with my ratchet at the apt. complex so I just bolted everything back up. I'm borrowing a sledge from work tomorrow and getting the job done. Thanks again for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.