GMC Truck Forum banner

NBS Collectability

2078 Views 37 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  eand28
Saw a post on a obs ford page today about how the 90’s F-Series of trucks/bronco are likely on the cusp of collector status since nice examples are selling for $35k+ regularly on Bringatrailer.
That got me thinking that maybe the obs and then the nbs gm trucks and SUV’s will maybe be future collectibles. Seems like nice examples of obs and nbs trucks are selling for decent money. Maybe part of that is due to the cost of new vehicles going up but maybe it’s also due to their simplicity and part availability
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
1,240 Posts
I think there are two reasons for this happening:

1. Pre-emissions and older car simplicity
All these trucks are really "pre-emissions" I mean sure they have emissions but they are easy as balls to tune out and fake your way through the inspector. Some states don't even check after a certain age. The lack of ECM lock down is a big thing too. It is way cheaper to make a fun car out of an NBS or OBS than it is to make out of a K2XX because of how much work you gotta go through with the electronics and shit. The cars are just simpler

2. Kids have money to buy what their parents had
This is just a thought but now everyone's childhood vehicle is easily within reach. Maybe one of these trucks their father or grandfather had and so this is a way to reconnect or remember them. I know it is for me. This is what a lot of kids grew up with and had their tastes molded by. Finally they can buy one and make it their own.

Just a thought though idfk

· The great white Canadian
2,106 Posts
IMO GMT400s have already hit collectors status. Much like when Squarebodys replaced the 67-72 as the must have truck. GMT400s are starting to replace Squarebodys. And the GMT800 is coming up. I don't see it happening to the GMT900 though (maybe in certain trim or cab configurations).

· Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think there are two reasons for this happening:

1. Pre-emissions and older car simplicity
All these trucks are really "pre-emissions" I mean sure they have emissions but they are easy as balls to tune out and fake your way through the inspector. Some states don't even check after a certain age. The lack of ECM lock down is a big thing too. It is way cheaper to make a fun car out of an NBS or OBS than it is to make out of a K2XX because of how much work you gotta go through with the electronics and shit. The cars are just simpler

2. Kids have money to buy what their parents had
This is just a thought but now everyone's childhood vehicle is easily within reach. Maybe one of these trucks their father or grandfather had and so this is a way to reconnect or remember them. I know it is for me. This is what a lot of kids grew up with and had their tastes molded by. Finally they can buy one and make it their own.

Just a thought though idfk
Number 2 is the big reason I love the nbs generation trucks/SUV’s. I grew up with a nbs burb and the familiarity is why I ended up with a duramax over a ford. I still miss that burb and have been looking at getting a nbs escalade or Tahoe.

· Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMO GMT400s have already hit collectors status. Much like when Squarebodys replaced the 67-72 as the must have truck. GMT400s are starting to replace Squarebodys. And the GMT800 is coming up. I don't see it happening to the GMT900 though (maybe in certain trim or cab configurations).
You’re definitely right. Roadster shop makes a complete obs chassis now that isn’t cheap plus ls swapping them doesn’t require a ton of work

· Registered
7,976 Posts
This has crossed my mind as well lol.

I think the obs is already at collector status. I see the nbs following suit, but i think that's already happenning up here in the rust belt for the clean rust free ones.

It makes me want to keep my 06 half ton daily and keep it nice lol. I haven't yet seen one with the same options I have, SLE with cloth, Bose, factory sunroof, factory rear power sliding window.

· Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This has crossed my mind as well lol.

I think the obs is already at collector status. I see the nbs following suit, but i think that's already happenning up here in the rust belt for the clean rust free ones.

It makes me want to keep my 06 half ton daily and keep it nice lol. I haven't yet seen one with the same options I have, SLE with cloth, Bose, factory sunroof, factory rear power sliding window.
There was a low mileage lbz that was just sold that had similar options except it didn’t have steering wheel controls

· Registered
2,346 Posts
400s and 800s are going to be very hot for years to come. And the two reasons listed above are exactly why plus the ridiculous cost of anything new.

I look at my ‘14 and think it hit the max for the amount of tech I would want in any vehicle. My wife’s ‘16 Tahoe beeps and flashes so much shit at me it’s annoying. Forget anything even newer than those.

The 400s and 800s hit a lot of sweet spots in the market. They are universally regarded as the last two great generations of GM trucks. Classic clean designs, simple to maintain so they last forever, modern enough to easily live with every day, and also sort of pushed the whole truck aftermarket industry mainstream the late 80s and 90s.

Even on BAT, which I think not only finds the best examples, but also brings the highest prices, you can still get all original, low mileages ones for significantly less than a comparable new truck. Yeah it might be slower, smaller, and not have every bell and whistle. There’s a pretty big segment that see all of those as pluses because it still can do almost everything a new truck will do for normal personal truck use purposes.

I’ve no intentions of getting rid of my K2, I hope they become the next new classic. But if something happened to it and I needed a “new” truck, I’d take my money to BAT and start placing bids on clean original 400 and 800 RCSB trucks or maybe a 2 door Tahoe as a replacement.

· Registered
969 Posts
I had a guy who was looking to buy some parts off of the donor truck that I pulled the LBZ from. He was selling his newer diesel and trying to build an "all new" 2006 because of the newer requirements for diesel trucks.

I know I prefer my 2003 to the gmt900, but I do like the look of the 2014- 2017 or whatever years it was around. I honestly believe in 20 years you would be able to rebuild a gmt800 fairly easily, but I don't see anything newer than 2018 getting rebuilt in 20 years. It seems like the electronics are getting too complicated and "one off" years. I hope I am wrong though.

· Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
1,240 Posts
K2XX is my favorite new truck. GMT-900 can fuck right off. I don't mind the T1XX but the limited tunability and customization, not that I do a whole lot of customizing, is a bit of a turn off.

· Registered
3,162 Posts
NBS interior suck, the 4x4 torsion bar, steering box setup is laughable these days. NNBS suck unless you get an LTZ or better.

K2.

· Registered
2,346 Posts
The Holy Grail of NBS for many. Already at $37k. Any guesses how high it might go?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts