GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to swap my driveshaft in my 04 GMC crew from the huge aluminum 1 pc to the 2 PC from an 05 2wd x cab I purchased, Ive seen where people have done it, but really lack specifics. Mainly what was done for a crossmember, if anyone has specifics, pics, measurements, or other helpful info, it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
im wonderin the same thing.

·
No other pasion.
1,247 Posts
Jose Pena at Drops R Us told me thats what to do. Call him or ask on Facebook. I believe he has done several

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
How low are you going? James and I are both 4/7 on the 1pc and it doesn't rub :crazy:

·
Registered
173 Posts
i just took out my 2 piece and had a one piece made. taking that cross member off was a PITA! went from a sclb duramax to a scsb. Lowering mine soon and it will make it farther from hitting anything.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
How low are you going? James and I are both 4/7 on the 1pc and it doesn't rub :crazy:
wtf:ninja: i just went 3/6 and im hitting on look like everything lol, im callin shop to see how much to much my gas tank crossmember it looks like im hitting on that. also i need to get my pinon angle in order. but other than that i love it still thanks.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
wtf:ninja: i just went 3/6 and im hitting on look like everything lol, im callin shop to see how much to much my gas tank crossmember it looks like im hitting on that. also i need to get my pinon angle in order. but other than that i love it still thanks.
Wonder why your pinion angle off, ours was fine but also mcgaughys kits, pretty much same setup as your belltech though.

There's 2 crossmembers that both have to be notched, if you can get out here after 4 this week we can get it done just let me know ahead of time

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Wonder why your pinion angle off, ours was fine but also mcgaughys kits, pretty much same setup as your belltech though.

There's 2 crossmembers that both have to be notched, if you can get out here after 4 this week we can get it done just let me know ahead of time
how long u think it might take i might can take off from my second job.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

i added 100 lbs in those shocks that help a bit on the hitting but i dont wanna blow up my shaft. thats y i need notch asap.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
what cross members need notched? im going 6/8 on my 3/4 ton and i dont think im gonna have to notch anything.
Gas tank crossmember and there's another one before it but I'm not sure about your truck since it's a 3/4 ton.

how long u think it might take i might can take off from my second job.
Hour or 2 it's a pain in the ass tbh lol let me know before you take off though because I've got a lot of shit to do this week

·
Registered
173 Posts
ok, cause my fuel tank cross member is up above the bottom of the frame rails. it's actually even with the top of the frame. you half ton guys have it rough

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Hour or 2 it's a pain in the ass tbh lol let me know before you take off though because I've got a lot of shit to do this week
just give me date ill take off

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, cause my fuel tank cross member is up above the bottom of the frame rails. it's actually even with the top of the frame. you half ton guys have it rough
you are also doing RCSB, dont have the length from trans to rear we do. I looked at your build thread earlier haha. We have Huge aluminum driveshafts.

As far as my reasoning for swapping, I have the shaft, dont want it to rub, and the son of a bitch creaks like the devil. Heard horror stories about the shafts grenading, and I just assume do it now. even though im at stock height :crazy:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
you are also doing RCSB, dont have the length from trans to rear we do. I looked at your build thread earlier haha. We have Huge aluminum driveshafts.

As far as my reasoning for swapping, I have the shaft, dont want it to rub, and the son of a bitch creaks like the devil. Heard horror stories about the shafts grenading, and I just assume do it now. even though im at stock height :crazy:
either swap or notch frame. im getting free single pc. drive shaft this week as a back up so i think i will get notch.

·
Registered
173 Posts
makes sense, i have the carrier bearing cross member if u want it. if it'll work. my dads ccsb duramax has the huge aluminum driveshaft too. i wanted it for my truck....lol

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha, I doubt itll work, Ive seen a couple made, and work for a sheet metal shop lol just looking for some specifics to make it easier. Ive seen pics of the aluminum ones exploded, I would be far beyond pissed, though i doubt Id ever get that far. haha. Ill replace carrier bearing and upgrade U joints when I do the swap as it is.

Edit: I do however wanna see more pics of your duramax haha was it 2WD or 4 (all terrains made me curious lol) did you do Short Short bed? or 6.5'?

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Yeah if your 1pc is aftermarket it should be way thinner so it shouldnt rub.

There's a few threads I can dig up for you rebel but will be a few days before I have time to get on a computer and find em. If you want to look at my posts in the static nbs thread I asked about it and a few people replied links

Sterling I'll let you know something tomorrow :shake:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
cool just let me know ill text ya about lunch time tomorrow

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I found one mandrel bent tubing, and the other out of 3" Square, just trying to get some real measurements, or I may just take it to drive line shop and be like, "here, make it work, cheap" lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts