GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Oliver S
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 silverado with the rcx ntd kit on it. great kit no complaints. the factory plastic piece of crap skid plate is covering up the "rcx" a good bit on my front crossmember. just wondering if this would be a bad idea to remove this piece of hard plastic, as i dont know if it protects anything actually.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Take it off. Mine isn't on.
When i had a bronco people said the dookie front plastic valence creates a vacuum, or something along those lines, for the engine bay. I don't operate a wind tunnel so :shrug:

·
Oliver S
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take it off. Mine isn't on.
When i had a bronco people said the dookie front plastic valence creates a vacuum, or something along those lines, for the engine bay. I don't operate a wind tunnel so :shrug:
haha this made me jest. how long has it been off?

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
haha this made me jest. how long has it been off?
Mine doesn't cover atall? Maybe yours is broken? (this pic is taken from higher photo, when looking at it lower to ground, doesn't cover atall.

10805504_10152760432510751_1901002591_n_zpsbb3d3191.jpg

Without:

10799732_10152751522235751_828736260_n_zps350227f0.jpg

·
Oliver S
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine doesn't cover atall? Maybe yours is broken? (this pic is taken from higher photo, when looking at it lower to ground, doesn't cover atall.

10805504_10152760432510751_1901002591_n_zpsbb3d3191.jpg

Without:

10799732_10152751522235751_828736260_n_zps350227f0.jpg
Maybe im just picky. also mines painted a silver color soo it may just stand out..? heres some pics.

IMG_1093_zpsc6771118.jpg

IMG_1071_zps55db9909.jpg

·
Oliver S
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anyways, have you had any troubles with anything after taking yours off?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I removed my. It's been 6 months since I have had my lift on. It makes greasing the front end easier, I think it cools the bottom of the engine better (can't prove it though), and I can check the condition of my front end parts and the a/c belt condition. Never had a problem with it off. I also have a 2004, and the radiator fan shroud still does a good job of cooling down the engine. So it's up to you, but it seems to be no real reason to leave it off. Just my opinion.

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
anyways, have you had any troubles with anything after taking yours off?
Didn't your truck used to be leveled on 35 or 37" tires? I recognize the name/truck. Looks like a best now. Those 37" MTZ's?

And I put mine back on, with it off, it leaves the center link, and the pitman & idler arms available for debris, excessive water (when driving in the rain) to get at all that. Expensive to replace & a PITA to work on. It also will speed up the weather cracking process on the belts.

When driving, there is air funneled under the truck, and without the plastic guard, it will buffet there a little, especially since your lifted (5" tall flat wall against air) and when driving in rain/snow, etc..... will fullel to vital parts.

Grab a black one from a scap yard, it will be much less noticeable.

And as far as servicing parts, it takes 30 seconds to remove/replace. I have a cordless impact, takes no time flat.

·
Oliver S
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't your truck used to be leveled on 35 or 37" tires? I recognize the name/truck. Looks like a best now. Those 37" MTZ's?

And I put mine back on, with it off, it leaves the center link, and the pitman & idler arms available for debris, excessive water (when driving in the rain) to get at all that. Expensive to replace & a PITA to work on. It also will speed up the weather cracking process on the belts.

When driving, there is air funneled under the truck, and without the plastic guard, it will buffet there a little, especially since your lifted (5" tall flat wall against air) and when driving in rain/snow, etc..... will fullel to vital parts.

And as far as servicing parts, it takes 30 seconds to remove/replace. I have a cordless impact, takes no time flat.
Yeah I used to be keys with 37s then I lifted her. Well looks like I'm gonna keep it.. Or look for a black one.. Thanks for the help and compliments!! Anything else you'd do to her? Those mtz's are 12.5 wide. Bout to throw some 37 x 13.5 toyos on there..

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I have had mine off since I did my oil pump but plan on putting it back on, just haven't had time. As mentioned, I would leave it. Truck looks good!

·
i like interco
3,269 Posts
On a Dmax there's a radiator hose directly over that plastic skid, I dont think you'd have a problem with it off.

Although if I was in woods or fields much I'd prob leave it on. Random sticks or stalks going up through there sounds like bad business.

·
Oliver S
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys! I'm gonna leave it or find a black one. Although, the more I look at it, the silver ties in well with the truck..

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Mines been off for almost a year. I took it off to run the new brake lines and just forgot to put it back on. I have not noticed a difference.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts

Definitely agree. You probably won't notice any ill effects, except maybe over time and with a dirtier engine bay. I removed mine on my lowered Silvy but the valence nearly scrapes the ground on that, and my Sierra has a BDS kit that came with a metal one so it replaced the plastic.

·
Oliver S
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sooooooo I'm on the fence here... To keep, or not to keep..?

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
Take it off and see? Its five bolts and all of what, 1 1/2 min. to remove it? I usually keep mine on, it catches bolts that I always end up dropping when working on the engine :jester:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts