GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how the fawk do you get the stock manifold and the new header off/on the dipstick on the pass. side? :crazy:

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: NBS header instal

hmm i must be dumb, hows it come out?

(not the dipstick itself but thr tube its in)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

Unbolt the bracket, and pull on the tube, straight up and out. Follow the end of the tube with a flashlight, so you know where it gos onto the block at. It took me a while to find it the first time.

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts

:word: to what Ben said, just wiggle it a wee bit and pull it straight out.

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts

it fucked me up the first time also.... i was like," it cant be that easy"

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

hehe I just had to add a set of ASM longtubes. Im hoping they will work out and I have room between teh rear spring hanger and the end of teh header. If not Ill sell them and by some shorter TOGs

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts

The TOG's are LT's also, they are alot easier to install since you bolt up the collectors after you put em on the motor... they go all the way to the cats.....

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i have it bolted up and to make them work im going to have to cut off the passenger side flange and about half an inch of the headers, and just weld the exhaust to it. That will make them work. Think I should just go ahead and do that?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
well i have it bolted up and to make them work im going to have to cut off the passenger side flange and about half an inch of the headers, and just weld the exhaust to it. That will make them work. Think I should just go ahead and do that?

I dunno, I'd be weary of doing that. Theres a few things that require taking off the exhaust to repair things, like transmissions.

I wonder if it would be possible to get someone to bend those pipes a half inch or so toward the center so they would clear. I would think that with a torch and some patience they could be bent enough to where they would clear no problem. :imo

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would weld up a flange instead of just but welding the exhaust to the header. JMO. pretty much the same thing tho. Lil sawsalling or torching if u ever need to remove them wont hurt down the road though. ITs a toss up. Most likely u wont have to take them off of you really dont wanna do a flange.

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
the only problem im having with the TOG's ight now.. is that i have a slight exhaust leak out of the driver side flange... its not staying tight like id like it too...

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i cant move the flange back any, but i could move it fopward like 6" to get past the bracket. Sound like a plan?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Sorry to hear of you install woes, I've always heard this sort of stuff about the ASM ones and their coating also...still amazes me they sell for so much still due to their less than par quality. :think:

I sold Santi (DeToN8TeD) the set I purchased as they were a PITA I heard before I decided to install them. Then I bought a Yank TT3K and still have that in a box. lol

:shake:

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well they would be a fairly simple instal if I didnt have a SFA bracket in teh way. They bolted up easy for the most part.

Also anyone knwo teh manifold bolt torque specs off hand?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yeah, I installed LTs on my F150 w/o a hitch then I read stories of people needing to jack the body off the frame to install the ASMs. Perhaps it's lack of experience on their end or something else, I'm not 100% sure.

In any event, I'm going to go with a set of TOGs...I've heard nothing bad at all about their build quality or install

1 - 20 of 22 Posts