GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What all do I need to switch my manual windows/locks to power? The local junkyard has plenty of NBS trucks so I just to know what all is needed.

·
CaddyHack
574 Posts
You will need the main dash harness (one from underhood block through firewall into cab), 2 power door panels, 2 window/lock switches, power distribution blocks for both sides out of a power window/ lock truck as they are different, door wiring, power window regulators, power locks.

We did this on my friends truck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You will need the main dash harness (one from underhood block through firewall into cab), 2 power door panels, 2 window/lock switches, power distribution blocks for both sides out of a power window/ lock truck as they are different, door wiring, power window regulators, power locks.

We did this on my friends truck.
What year was the truck? I'm hoping to do this on my '03 RCSB, and I'd heard that all that is needed for '03+ vehicles (regarding wiring) was the harness that goes from the side distribution blocks.

/me hopes he didn't take on a bigger project than he planned on

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Ive been thinking about doing this as well. Personally, when the time comes for me Im just going to pickup the motor and regulator kit online. I think JCWhitney sells the kit. Get all that stuff in working order, then for wiring... just wire your switch to a hot source. Stock, windows only work with ignition on. I would wire it to a constant source that way you could roll them down anytime. Then you just would have to mount some switches, hell just get power door panels and swap them out.

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Ive been thinking about doing this as well. Personally, when the time comes for me Im just going to pickup the motor and regulator kit online. I think JCWhitney sells the kit. Get all that stuff in working order, then for wiring... just wire your switch to a hot source. Stock, windows only work with ignition on. I would wire it to a constant source that way you could roll them down anytime. Then you just would have to mount some switches, hell just get power door panels and swap them out.
OEM FTW :imo Those (cheap) aftermarket kits are junk and the switchs look like shit IMO

·
Registered
9 Posts
OEM FTW :imo Those (cheap) aftermarket kits are junk and the switchs look like shit IMO
That's my plan, and unfortunately, progress is slow. Searching for the OEM parts that I need on eBay is very slow, since A: Money's tight, B: There's not a lot of door wiring harnesses that find their way onto eBay (although I did find one for the passenger's side), and C: Money's tight.

No way I'm going to the stealership for parts (did that once, for a manual window regulator, when I couldn't find it online: It cost me $130).

·
CaddyHack
574 Posts
What year was the truck? I'm hoping to do this on my '03 RCSB, and I'd heard that all that is needed for '03+ vehicles (regarding wiring) was the harness that goes from the side distribution blocks.

/me hopes he didn't take on a bigger project than he planned on
It was in a 99 NBS Silverado. In his the side distribution blockes were different from manual to power as the manual ones are hard wired from the back and the power ones had actual plugs.

·
CaddyHack
574 Posts
That's my plan, and unfortunately, progress is slow. Searching for the OEM parts that I need on eBay is very slow, since A: Money's tight, B: There's not a lot of door wiring harnesses that find their way onto eBay (although I did find one for the passenger's side), and C: Money's tight.

No way I'm going to the stealership for parts (did that once, for a manual window regulator, when I couldn't find it online: It cost me $130).
Check the junkyards for the parts. You should be able to get all the stuff pretty reasonable. Just look for a totalled truck with the power options on it in your year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check the junkyards for the parts. You should be able to get all the stuff pretty reasonable. Just look for a totalled truck with the power options on it in your year.
I think once I've got enough money saved up, that's the best solution for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts