GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I am unable to comply
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently ripped out that rubber boot where the shifter is on the steering column. It was torn so bad and I tried glueing it and it looked even worse that I just ripped it out. Now I put a black piece of foam over the huge hole with a long cut in it for the shifter to move up and down in. It looks a little tacky though and I'm worrying about dust and dirt getting into my steering now. Anybody has any ideas how to fix that? How would a new rubber boot get in without ripping it apart again? Guess it's time for custom work inside.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
its easy. U buy the new boot and it slides over the shifter. i think the new boot is like 12 bucks or something like that. no biggie

·
Registered
479 Posts
Germanator said:
I have recently ripped out that rubber boot where the shifter is on the steering column. It was torn so bad and I tried glueing it and it looked even worse that I just ripped it out. Now I put a black piece of foam over the huge hole with a long cut in it for the shifter to move up and down in. It looks a little tacky though and I'm worrying about dust and dirt getting into my steering now. Anybody has any ideas how to fix that? How would a new rubber boot get in without ripping it apart again? Guess it's time for custom work inside.
You can get a replacement boot from the dealer. I replaced mine already and if i remember right, it wasn't more than ~$20. To install, take your plastic column covers off, unbolt your shifter, slip the shifter thru the boot and install the boot onto your covers. The boot is notched and the plastic covers hold it in place. You'll see what i'm talking about when you get the boot. Good luck.

·
Registered
752 Posts
let it soak in a oil for 24hrs, then let it dry completly then put it back on, mine has not ripped since I replaced it over a year ago.

·
I am unable to comply
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what about the orange wire for the tow mode? where does it connect to? Is it hard to unbolt the shifter and get the wire out? Thanks

·
Registered
479 Posts
Germanator said:
what about the orange wire for the tow mode? where does it connect to? Is it hard to unbolt the shifter and get the wire out? Thanks
It's been a while, but if i remember right, once the column covers are off, you can follow the wire down from the shifter and you can unplug it. It may be held in placed by some clips that you should be able to just pop off. The shifter itself is just bolted in and isn't a problem getting off. Following this link may help you visualize it: http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=16133&cat=257&page=1
Good luck.

·
I am unable to comply
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
had it all replaced by the Chevy dealer. I worked some overtime and made the money instead of fumbeling with it myself. They did a great job, and total damage was $172 including new plastic covers, since mine were messed up with super glue. So I learned a lesson no more messin with superglue....
:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts