GMC Truck Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Wheel guy
700 Posts
Ya, IF's work is generally frowned upon, but I have never had work done there, so I dont know. Way2hi, do u have pics of ur engine compartment? Like the whole thing? I will be doin the front of my truck soon and my guy said hes done it a million times but I am just curious to what yours looks like.

·
Zombie Squad
1,244 Posts
man justin ur not far away at all this would be a great oppertunity to get some body work done to the truck...
how much u think it would cost to shave my tailgate and get it repainted? (some chick rearended my dad when he had it and bent the bumper and scratched the tailgate to shit...then the tailgate also got keyed so it would be a great chance to do it)

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
IntroWheels said:
Ya, IF's work is generally frowned upon, but I have never had work done there, so I dont know. Way2hi, do u have pics of ur engine compartment? Like the whole thing? I will be doin the front of my truck soon and my guy said hes done it a million times but I am just curious to what yours looks like.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for the reply! No that's not my truck, it's off of a shop's web page. The shop has been getting talked down on from this forum lately so I'll just leave it at that!
Good, those fenders look like shit!
Ya, IF's work is generally frowned upon, but I have never had work done there, so I dont know. Way2hi, do u have pics of ur engine compartment?
Yea IF does shitty work, I'm glad my 2 link was done right by them.
AftermatH: Check your PM's
Slawinitup: I live in Muhlenberg County, it's a little over a hour north of Bowling Green and 2 hours north of Nashville.
Bcubed: Thanks for the pic

BTW in that pic I have the fuse box uncovered, since then I have built a polished aluminum diamond plate cover for it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
way2hi said:
Good, those fenders look like shit!

Yea IF does shitty work, I'm glad my 2 link was done right by them.
It's still a 2 link! How is yours any different from the rest of the ones they have installed? Not trying to knock you or your truck, but a 2 link doesn't have proper suspension geometry. If you want it "done right by them" you should of went with a 4 link. I just don't understand how you can say they do shitty work, but your 2 link was "done right by them". I'm not taking up for any shop as most of them do install alot of 2 links. They are cheap to build, don't take long to fabricate and more affordable for those that don't know any better. A GOOD shop would explain the pros and cons of the different types of suspensions and let the customer make the decision. I'm not trying to knock anyone that has a 2 link, as that is each persons decision, I'm just tired of everybody taking the cheaper way out. Almost every truck you look at lately has a 2 link!

Oh yeah, your fenders do look ALOT better than IF's! I just haven't made up my mind if I want to move my battery or not.

Thanks
Trey

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
bagged01extcab said:
It's still a 2 link! How is yours any different from the rest of the ones they have installed?
Trey,

I think Justin did some work on his before it was installed, redoing some of the welds, mounts, etc .. I think.

EDIT - I found the post

"I know my welds on my 2 link and C-Notch from IF were good, but the lower front bag mounts were cut kinda shitty so I had to do alot of trimming. Also the shock mounts weren't worth shit. I've seen ALOT of their shitty welding on the trucks they do on their site, it is awful. I wouldn't let them do my truck..."

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
bagged01extcab said:
I'm not trying to knock anyone that has a 2 link, as that is each persons decision, I'm just tired of everybody taking the cheaper way out. Almost every truck you look at lately has a 2 link!
2 Links aren't necessarily crap, that's what the trucks and suburbans of the early 70s came with from the factory.

Picture ledfut posted oh his 72 longbed .. factory 2 Link

·
Wheel guy
700 Posts
But its different when its static as opposed to adjustable. The pinion angle and all of that it set to a specific ride height when its static. When its adjustable, unless you are at a certain psi, your pinion angle is screwed. There is a big difference between airbags and coil springs. The beauty of a 4 link is it keeps the geometry the same at a wider range of heights and angles. :read:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I bought my 2 link from them for 2 reasons:
1. I didn't know anything hardly about air ride at the time
2. I got it 1/2 price (which was still alot for what it is)

I like my 2 link, but if I had it to do over again I'd go with a KP. What I meant was that THEIR work is shitty at their shop, when I was talking to the guy that I ordered them from he said a guy fabricates them and then they have people that install them. The welds on the 2 link were fine, but yea I did have to do some work to the front part of the kit and the rear upper bag brackets.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
IntroWheels said:
But its different when its static as opposed to adjustable. The pinion angle and all of that it set to a specific ride height when its static. When its adjustable, unless you are at a certain psi, your pinion angle is screwed. There is a big difference between airbags and coil springs. The beauty of a 4 link is it keeps the geometry the same at a wider range of heights and angles. :read:
Well that makes sense, I wasn't implying they were equal or superior to 4-links, etc ... but they can work.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Way2hi,
I didn't realize that you had installed the 2 link yourself. That makes a huge difference. I also understand about the not knowing. So many people/shops do 2 links that it has become the "norm" and most don't know any different. Brian was right about the "trailing arms" on the 67-72 trucks. With coil springs, this set up isn't that bad! If it was a great setup, don't you think chevy would still be building them that way? Once again, not trying to step on toes, just speaking my mind!

Trey

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Trey, that's fine man. Naw I have did about 80% of the truck myself. I like knowing how everything works and that the person installing it didn't cut corners, but I'd love to take my 2 link off and sell it to someone (which I think I have a buyer in the near future) and get sponsored for a KP 4 link Canti, just working on this 4wd S-10 that I'm bagging makes me want to redo my suspension BAD.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts